New build, no idea what I'm doing

chineseman

[H]ard|Gawd
Just got my new build up and running but I'm getting mixed results. I set the multiplier to 40x and VCore to 1.3 in BIOS to start with but CPU-Z shows my core speed at ~1600 MHz, Speccy is showing it stock speed 3300 MHz, and Windows is showing it at 3.90 Ghz. I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to this stuff and those were the only two modifiers I touched. Is this just a display error or did I miss something? Current rig is in my sig. Thanks!

I think your cpu is just being throttled. Run intel burn or whatever u prefer for stress testing your cpu and CPU-Z should show your clock speed correctly.

Thanks fellas those tips pretty much cleared up everything. Now I just need to experiment some. I'm getting the BSOD with 4.5ghz @ 1.3v though...guess I got a crappy one :(. Is 1.3v still the "safe" voltage for someone who only upgrades once every 2-3 years?

Doesn't mean you got a crappy one. Mine wasn't stable at 4.5ghz either at 1.3volts. I haven't done much overclocking since I'm using the stock cooler, but it has to do with the bios. The more recent bios seem to require more voltage for stability. As long as you're not hitting 1.4v you should be fine. But honestly, I would keep it no more than 1.35v for every day usage. Also remember to try to stay under 80C. Most will tell you 90C, but there's really no reason to go above 80C.

Back