• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New Build, New PSU?

par2

n00b
Joined
Sep 25, 2015
Messages
5
Hey guys, very very very very long time lurker, but my first post.

Ok, I'll try and be brief. I am upgrading a system I built back in 2011 that I pieced together pretty much by reading this site. It has:

  • Asus P8Z68-V Pro Gen3
  • i7-2600K
  • GTX 580 EVGA HydroCopper
  • Corsair Vengeance Blue 16 GB DDR3
  • 3 SSDs
  • 2 SATA 1TB mechanicals
  • Full water cooling
  • Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W (TPG-1200M)

It's been a great machine for me but it's time for an upgrade.

I now have arriving:

  • Asus Z170 Deluxe
  • i7-6700K
  • Asus GTX 980ti Poseidon SLI
  • 32GB G.Skill DDR4 PC4-25600 3200MHz Ripjaws V
  • 1 Sata SSD
  • 1 NVMe SSD
  • 1 SATA 1TB mechanical
  • Full water cooling
  • Seasonic X-850 80 Plus Gold

I plan on turning the P8Z68 into a beefy linux server so I do not plan on parting it up for the new machine.

My question is, should I put the 1200W in the new machine that has SLI or will the X-850 be enough?

Thanks!
 
I would say you should be alright with that particular 850w unit. The only doubt I have, is that they are poseidons. I would take the seasonic over any thernaltake unit though. Probably best to grab a 1000w unit. Im sure 850w is enough, but a nice 1000w is probably best
 
Your gonna want more then 850w with 2 980ti's if your overclocking both of them and your cpu on top of that.

Planning on putting those poseidons under water? I would be interested in your results.
 
You should be okay with a good 850, but keep in mind that under stress the PSU will be running in the upper ranges of its ability. Some people like to try and keep the PSU in its most efficient zone around 50%. You may also get some fan noise if the PSU hits up into the 80 - 90% range. Personally I would go with at least 1000watt, but I tend to always go a bit overboard with PSUs
 
Ok thanks all! I went ahead and ordered one of these: SS-1250XM

I could have SWORN that Toughpower had good reviews but holy cow after searching on this site for it, it's abysmal. Although I have to say it's been running fine for almost 5 years now.

Anyway, thanks much guys!
 
Ok got another question.

I got the two Asus 980 ti Poseidon's in SLI. This SS-1250XM has a little card in it that states... well here's a pic of it:

8bo1slc.jpg


I cannot find maximum wattage for these cards. Am I safe connecting their power with a single connection for each or must I use two each (for a total of 4)?

Thanks!
 
I would think with that power supply a single cable like in the far left would be suitable for this card.
 
You need to hook 4 separate cables for PCI e coming out of the psu for best results. That is also what the chart is telling you.
 
.............................................
I could have SWORN that Toughpower had good reviews but holy cow after searching on this site for it, it's abysmal. Although I have to say it's been running fine for almost 5 years now.

What are you talking about?? :eek:
The Thermaltake unit you have, not only isn't abysmal, but [H] had rewarded it with the Gold award !!( http://www.hardocp.com/article/2007/04/25/thermaltake_toughpower_1200w/#.VhEAxiuWzct )
Probably you saw a review for another Tt unit, and most likely the Tt GRAND 1200, since it is one of the few Tt's 1200 watt units that had failed ;) ( http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011...ughpower_grand_1200w_psu_review/#.VhEB1yuWzcs )

EDIT: As for the power consumption of the 980Ti Poseidon, according to [H]'s review here, it can reach 300 watt max (probably more like close to 250-260 watt max, since total system's consumption is 386watt, while without the gpu, the idle system's consumption is 86 watt, so let's put another 50 watt at full load without the gpu.)
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015...don_platinum_gtx_980_ti_review/9#.VhFV0ZeWzcs
 
Last edited:
What are you talking about?? :eek:
The Thermaltake unit you have, not only isn't abysmal, but [H] had rewarded it with the Gold award !!

Agreed, they are good units. I put an old Thermaltake Toughpower 1000w into the 5820k setup I just built and it's working great. The 1200w and 1000w have only minor differences. Both the 1200w and 1000w got 9.5 scores over at JonnyGuru. They are based on the CWT PUC platform that has seen many good powersupplies, for example, the Corsair HX1000W, as well as the larger Toughpower 1350w and 1500w units. Silverstone also made a 1500w unit based on this design. It is actually like two smaller power-supplies in one. Only real drawback is that the units are perhaps a bit less efficient than newer models.
 
That 850W PSU is more than enough power for your system.
 
Back
Top