New build, need some suggestions

northrop

grumman
Well, my current rig decided not to work anymore, and I need some new components.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc

- Photo editing, followed by gaming. Although I haven't played a single game this year, so it's really not a priority.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?

I'd like to keep it under $800 +tax

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.

Chicago, so Microcenter is within reach. Technically, so is Fry's.

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.

CPU, mobo, RAM, PSU.

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.

Crucial M4 SSD 256gb for OS, a bunch of other storage HD's, and a Radeon HD6870 (again, I'm not really gaming anymore, so this is plenty good right now. Will upgrade gfx later this year or whenever I feel it is necessary to max out solitaire)

6) Will you be overclocking?

I might, probably not right away.

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?

24in, 1920x1200, will eventually upgrade that too, but it's not gonna happen this year... I don't think

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?

Within the next week or two

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.

Nothing specific

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?

Win7 64

I've come up with this:

i7 6700k $310 @MC
Gigabyte Z170X gaming 5 $140 @MC
Gskill 16GB PC4 25600 @ $80
EVGA 220-G2-0650-Y1 80 plus gold 650W ECO modular $90

Though, truth be told, I don't know jack when it comes to PSU, but I have good experience with EVGA. Same with memory. I've always used Crucial, but heard good things about Gskill, so... why not. Ideas?

Also thinking about picking up a new case. Corsair Obsidian caught my eye. I really like the clean design. Would anyone like to weight in on this case? Case budget is separate.

Last edited:
Back