• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New build, need some advice.

Gienek

n00b
Joined
Aug 14, 2010
Messages
20
Well I got out of school and have no use for a laptop anymore. So with that said, I am looking to build a gaming rig.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
-----Gaming, web browsing, using ArcGIS and other mapping software.
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
-----I am looking to stay around the $1000 mark without the monitor and other accessories. Yes, Tax and Shipping included.
3) Where do you live?
----- Columbus, Ohio
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget?
-----CPU, GPU, PSU, RAM, HD, Motherboard, wireless card, CPU cooler, Case
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing?
------Not reusing any parts.
6) Will you be overclocking?
------Not at this time, but would like to have adequate capability and cooling for future OCing
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
------Going with NEC EA231WMI 23in IPS
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
----Now
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI
support? etc.
-----Might run SLI in the future
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?
----Win7 64 pro

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Here is what I have come up with so far.

GPU - GTX470
CPU - i7 930
RAM - Corsair 6gigs
CPU fan
Case

Suggestions for other parts would be helpful!

Thanks!
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
An Intel X58-based build can't be done comfortably for around $1000, especially with what you have in mind. Observe:

$200 - Intel i7-930 (from Micro Center)
$370 - Asus P6X58D-E & G.Skill 3x2GB DDR3 1600 combo (RAM has $10 promo code that expires 8/16)
$35 - Cogage TRUE Spirit (from Cooler Guys)
$380 - Asus GTX 470 1280MB & Corsair TX850 combo ($20 MIRs on both video card and PSU)
$65 - Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB HDD (from Micro Center)
$18 - LG GH22NS40 SATA DVD burner
$17 - Zonet ZEW1642 802.11n PCI wireless adapter
$60 - Cooler Master CM690 I case (free shipping with promo code that expires 8/16)
=====
$1145 - Subtotal (not including shipping, taxes, or rebates)

Keep in mind that I used combo deals that shaved $60 off the overall cost of this system, and I took advantage of a couple of Micro Center loss leaders. If you don't have a Micro Center B&M store near you, expect to pay more for the processor and hard drive. I also switched a few things around (like the video card and RAM) in an effort to reduce costs. Though the CPU cooler that I linked to is more expensive, it's also better for overclocking. And I believe that Corsair Dominator is overpriced, especially for a person who may consider overclocking (compared to a dedicated, die-hard overclocker).

If you want a good system at around $1000, you'll have to consider AMD/ATI:

$270 - AMD Phenom II X6 1055T & G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB DDR3 1600 combo
$205 - XFX Black Edition 850W PSU & G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB DDR3 1600 combo
$140 - Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H (or, for SLI support, Asus M4N98TD EVO)
$290 - XFX HD 5850
$60 - Western Digital Caviar Blue WD10EALS 1TB HDD
$18 - LG GH22NS40 SATA DVD burner
$17 - Zonet ZEW1642 802.11n PCI wireless adapter
$60 - Cooler Master CM690 I case (free shipping with promo code that expires 8/16)
=====
$1060 - Subtotal (not including shipping, taxes, or rebates)

I went with the six-core 1055T and 8GB of RAM for ArcGIS, which can be a resource-intensive program. You can easily cut costs by going with one of the quad-core Black Edition processor (either the 945 or the 955; the 965 isn't worth the extra money) and/or dropping one of the two sets of RAM. Most of the better AMD Socket AM3 motherboards support only CrossFire, but there are a few that support SLI. Consequentially, I also went with an AMD/ATI video card with the AMD build; however, the GTX 470 is the better card among the two.

Before I forget, which games are you playing? If it's nothing more strenuous than StarCraft II, then you may want to "downgrade" to the GTX 460 or HD 5770.

Get the case now if you want it, as the free shipping promo code expires on Monday. I couldn't find a decent CPU cooler for the new AMD hex-cores, so I didn't recommend one. The one that I would have recommended, the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus, is overpriced at NewEgg (it's available there for $50, but its MSRP is actually $30) but is out of stock at other major online retailers (Amazon has it, but you'd have to wait a month or two beforehand).
 
tirades,

Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it. I have a couple more questions for you.

1.What is the difference between the Asus and EVGA videocard?
2. Should I get the western digital black HD or stick with the samsung? They seem to be very similar.

For this time being, I think I will stick with Intel on the processors. I feel more comfortable with their technology.

Thanks!
 
There's no difference between an asus/evga 470's physically. The only difference is price/warranty, the asus is cheaper and comes with a 3 year warranty vs lifetime on an evga. I'd stick with the samsung drive, it's cheaper and an awesome drive.
 
If you can afford to go X58, do. Game performance suffers on AMD's offerings. Also, i7 best handles SLI.

Here is what you need to know about 1055T VS i7 930:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3674/amds-sixcore-phenom-ii-x6-1090t-1055t-reviewed/9

The i7 930 crushes AMD's 1055T in gaming. The 1055T is barely even better at encoding video, when it is using all six cores. >.>

$200 Intel i7 930 @ MicroCenter
$140 EVGA E758 Tri-SLI @ EVGA: http://www.evga.com/products/prodlist.asp?switch=20
$160 6GB (3x2GB) DDR 3 1600 CL7: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226030
$312 (after $20 MIR) Gigabyte GTX 460 and Corsair 850W PSU COMBO: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.470430
$78 WD Caviar Black 1TB (Coupon EMCYWZP29): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136284
$60 Cooler Master Storm Scout Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119196
$20 DVD Burner: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136180
$20 Wi-Fi Card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833130057

$990 including shipping, after $20 MIR, plus tax on the i7 @ MicroCenter

You will need to add:
CPU Heatpipe HSF (I don't have the time to research this, now. There are so many to choose from, you're going to need to choose): $30
A second GTX 460 ASAP (SLI GTX 460's are currently by far the best value / bang for the buck)
 
Last edited:
First question: Is $1000 a strict limit?

If so, you may need to look at an Intel 1156 (i5-750 or i7-860) system or AMD AM3 system (X4 955 BE or X6 1055T) with one midrange video card (like the GTX 460). However, the majority of the boards from those sockets support either SLI or CrossFire. Very few 1156 and AM3 boards support both, but the prices of those boards are close to the prices of the X58 boards that it defeats the purpose of getting an 1156 or AM3 board in the first place. (That purpose? Bang-per-buck performance at a lower price, which is the main advantage of going with AMD. For raw performance, yes, Intel still maintains the lead. But any "modern" system that you build would easily outperform your laptop.)

Next: Are you going to play a lot of first-person shooter (FPS) games? At high, ultra high, or max visual settings? With AA and AF activated?

If so, you may want either a high end video card (GTX 480 or HD 5870 2GB) or a dual CF/SLI setup (though the dual-GPU HD 5970 performs like two HD 5850s in CF, the GTX 460 SLI setup is the best bang-per-buck performance option available).

While Intel's X58 platform supports dual x16 CF and SLI, various benchmarks show that it offers only 5% to 10% improvement over dual x8 CF/SLI based on the game and the resolution. If push comes to shove, unless you're dead set on SLI, you don't really need an X58 system.

So: Are you going to use ArcGIS (or other system intensive software like it) about half the time you're on the computer?

IIRC, ArcGIS benefits from a quad-core and at least 4GB of RAM.
 
First question: Is $1000 a strict limit?

No, I have about 100-150 bucks leeway, but closer to 1k range is better. I want to get another 23 inch NEC in another month too.

Please answer this question: Which games are you playing?

Ill be playing MW2, Starcraft 2, Battlefield BC2.

Are you going to use ArcGIS (or other system intensive software like it) about half the time you're on the computer?

I will be using ArcGIS about 25% of the time. I can't skimp out on this option because while I only use it 1/4th the time, I need it to work well and quickly.

Are you going to play a lot of first-person shooter (FPS) games? At high, ultra high, or max visual settings? With AA and AF activated?

I want to play the FPS games listed above. I want them to run flawlessly at high settings with AA and AF activated.
 
Back
Top