New build...Mobile Barton vs AMD64 3000

Dude

Limp Gawd
I'm about to order parts to build a new box for my mother. I was all set to build her a descent rig based on the Mobile XP with a DFI infinity. THEN, I thought to myself, "self, you could build her a 64 bit box for a couple hundred more". The question is, would it be worth a couple hundred more? She will primarily use the box for office productivity type of apps as well as a little digital photo maipulation. As far as I know, she does not game beyond playing solitare;) . I know that I could build a really cheap machine that would suit her needs fine, but it's not in my nature. Besides, she did mention that she wanted a little bragging rights. Any thoughts?

Your mom sounds pretty cool. Is she paying for it herself or is this a gift from you?

If it's a gift, take the advice above and pass her your system, and build yourself a new A64 or mobile athlon XP rig :)

(nice sig disco :p )

Originally posted by Benny Blanco
Your mom sounds pretty cool. Is she paying for it herself or is this a gift from you?

If it's a gift, take the advice above and pass her your system, and build yourself a new A64 or mobile athlon XP rig :)

She is very cool (and trusting:p). I did consider pawning off my rig to her, but she is footing the bill, so I'd feel bad about that. Not to mention, my box has had the hell beat out of it :D . As close to 100% reliability as possible is a must, as she does a lot of online commodities trading. Can't have that sucker go down during a trade.

go for the less expensive then ...shes not into benchmarking and framerates ..

I don't know if you want to overclock your mom's rig, but if so, the mobile 2400 is the way to go. I wouldn't overclock it too much though, there's just no need, especially since stability/reliability is extremely important here.

If not oc'ing, the XP2800+ is the minimum I would consider for someone who uses the PC for work. Its a nice price too at $113.

Also, if not overclocking, I'd look at 1gb (2x512mb) of low latency (2-2-2) pc2700 such as the mushkin PC2700 for $108 per 512mb stick.

I would definitely go for something in a small form factor also. Either a shuttle, or a mATX mobo/case. I just don't see any point in a full size machine for such a person. The smaller the better.

Silence/low noise should be a high priority also. Either a seagate or samsung hard drive. Period. A power supply that is known to be quiet and reliable. I like fortron power supplies with the 120mm fan. Also, a motherboard with a passive (fanless) northbridge also. I put a fanless heatsink on my abit NF7-S and it does up to 235mhz fsb just fine. The fan just adds slight cooling but more noise than it's worth.

Very sound reasoning from Benny Blanco. You do not need to overbuild her system since she will not be taxing it that much. For most common users, the tangable things they can see/touch are more important. She would probably like a small computer. Spend extra on things like the keyboard and mouse for her.

Well arguably you'll get longer life out of a A64 based system compared to the AXP which is at the end of its line. Might be good experience for you if you plan on getting yourself an A64 setup in the future. In the end, either solution will be more then enough for what will be demanded of it. Let your mom decide :eek:

Originally posted by Benny Blanco

:)

Originally posted by DocFaustus
Very sound reasoning from Benny Blanco. You do not need to overbuild her system since she will not be taxing it that much. For most common users, the tangable things they can see/touch are more important. She would probably like a small computer. Spend extra on things like the keyboard and mouse for her.

Good suggestions. I'm looking at a Shuttle SFF box with the mobile 2400. Also looking at this 9600 pro. She will be running dual 17' LCD's. On that note, I'm and LCD moron, will I have any trouble running with the one DVI port and one VGA? The card comes with a DVI to VGA adaptor.

Originally posted by DiscoStu
Well arguably you'll get longer life out of a A64 based system compared to the AXP which is at the end of its line. Might be good experience for you if you plan on getting yourself an A64 setup in the future. In the end, either solution will be more then enough for what will be demanded of it. Let your mom decide :eek:

:)

This is true as well (banging head on table). I guess I'll just give her a call and run the options by her. More to come...

Originally posted by Dude
Good suggestions. I'm looking at a Shuttle SFF box with the mobile 2400. Also looking at this 9600 pro. She will be running dual 17' LCD's. On that note, I'm and LCD moron, will I have any trouble running with the one DVI port and one VGA? The card comes with a DVI to VGA adaptor.

Yes, trouble ahead. You can convert from DVI to VGA but not the other way around.

I prefer the ATI 9X00 line but I dont know of any that come with 2 DVI ports. The only current card that does that I know of is the Gainward 5700.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=14523

Originally posted by firenutx
Yes, trouble ahead. You can convert from DVI to VGA but not the other way around.

I prefer the ATI 9X00 line but I dont know of any that come with 2 DVI ports. The only current card that does that I know of is the Gainward 5700.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=14523

Sorry for being stupid (I promise to read ahead next time;) ), but if she has two LCDs that both have the VGA connectors, will this work like having two plain old crts?

I wouldn't suggest A64 because it's still in it's first generation.

The athlon XP platform may be on it's last leg, but it's tried and true... and I personally LOVE it :)

I haven't used or dealt with A64 yet, so I really can't say anything bad about it from personal experience, but I've read things here and there that would sway me away from building it for someone who doesn't need cutting edge, or 64bit technology. Some have said the multitasking isn't so good, but like I said, no personal experience here.

As far as getting longer life out of A64, I disagree. I'll be very surprised if the usable life of 32bit computing as we know it today (it's the standard), is only another 10 months. I bet it'll be more like another 5 years at least.

Don't get me wrong though. If I was building a system for MYSELF.... (hehehe you know the deal) :p

As far as the graphics card, look around for reviews specific to workstation (2D) performance. Don't worry about 3D performance.

Back