New Build, looking for advise...

Goose

Limp Gawd
Hi guys,

One of my computers built in 2012 died recently. It wouldn't reboot no matter what, no life at all. I took it apart and rebuilt another out of parts laying around but with the same case, a Corsair 600t. It's slower by a lot.

Anyway, I'm going build 2 new machines. Both will be rebuilt in the 600t cases.

The list I'm looking at is as follows:

Some type of cooler like the Noctua NH-D15 or similar or and AIO (has to fit up top of the 600t (mounting holes are at 9x4.5)
Gigabyte z390 Master or Ultra mobo
G skill DDR4 16GB 3200 (low profile or will there be any issue with such a large air cooler?)

Already have:
600t cases
PSU's (2) New Seasonic Prime Titanum 750w
SSD's (2) New 860 EVO's
(2) Zotac GTX 1070 Amp Extreme's

I'm just looking for some additional thoughts on the builds. These will primarily be for gaming and other light media (adobe, max3d) content use. I'm looking to get at least as long as I did with the other machine so that's why it maybe a little overkill for the use.

thanks

The i7-9900k doesn't gain you much over the i7-9700k considering the price premium. Just 100MHz, hyperthreading, and a bit of cache. Probably not worth it.

~$330 for a mainboard seems extreme. ~$230 for the Ultra is a bit more reasonable. Are you sure these two units have needed features and you can't successfully utilize a <$200 mainboard?

Unless you're really planning to push the overclocking, such a large CPU cooler or AIO is a waste. A quality single-tower 120-140mm design is more than fine.

Current Intel CPUs run their RAM at 2666 MHz, so DDR4-3200 is overkill unless you're planning to really push overclocks (and on Intel RAM overclocks don't really get you much of anything for gaming).

Any chance of returning the PSUs for smaller units? Pushed hard (at stock clocks), the system outlined probably won't pull more than ~350 W from the wall. A 500 W PSU would be about right, gold rated is fine.

From what I've read of the 9900k it needs a lot of cooling even at stock.

The Noctua NH-D15 is a beast. (That's what I'd do)

The 9900k vs 9700k debate is usually worth discussing, but this guy looks like his wallet can handle it.

Also, I'd bet good money the next gen consoles will be 8c/16t so the 9900k is better for future-proofing.

Motherboard? That's up to you man. I've been using the board in my sig for 9 years but I hear Gigabyte has gone downhill since then.

RAM? Gskill 3200 is solid. If I were you, I'd get the low profile stuff because.. why not? Better safe than sorry IMO.

TLDR:
Get the 9900k and the NH-D15. Research other motherboards because I've heard Gigabyte ain't what they used to be. GSkill Lp 3200 Ram sounds good.

The Noctua NH-D15 is a beast. (That's what I'd do)

The 9900k vs 9700k debate is usually worth discussing, but this guy looks like his wallet can handle it.

Also, I'd bet good money the next gen consoles will be 8c/16t so the 9900k is better for future-proofing.

Motherboard? That's up to you man. I've been using the board in my sig for 9 years but I hear Gigabyte has gone downhill since then.

RAM? Gskill 3200 is solid. If I were you, I'd get the low profile stuff because.. why not? Better safe than sorry IMO.

TLDR:
Get the 9900k and the NH-D15. Research other motherboards because I've heard Gigabyte ain't what they used to be. GSkill Lp 3200 Ram sounds good.

Thanks guys. I'll chime back in when I've done a little more searching. I am keeping the PSU's. Yes they are overkill but I've had 750w for the past 6 years anyway.

Thanks guys. I'll chime back in when I've done a little more searching. I am keeping the PSU's. Yes they are overkill but I've had 750w for the past 6 years anyway.

Update.
Builds are done. These are 2 identical machines.

i9 9900k
Gigabyte Z390 Master
G Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB DDR4
Noctua NH-D15
Samsung 860 Evo
Windows 10 Pro
Seasonic Prime Titanum 750w
Zotac GTX 1070 Amp Extreme
CoolerMaster Mastercase H500M

Back