New build keeps BSODing - what does this mean?! HELP!!!

Spacy9

Scotch is my Lord and Savior
My new build keeps going to BSOD - did it during the build and is still doing it. Has corrupted windows several times now. The BSOD doesn't give me an error, instead it gives me a STOP message which I can't find anywhere and it is exactly the same each time:

*** STOP: 0X0000008E (0x0000005, 0x408821E6, 0xF78D23C4, 0x00000000)

Any ideas as to what this is or what it means?

The parts are:

ASUS P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe
Core 2 6700
Thermaltake Toughpower 750W
4 1 gig sticks of G-Skill 800Mhz memory
XFX 7950gx2 (have 2, tried swapping them with no luck, same issue. Only planned on using one till everthing was set up and then install the other.)
2x250GB HD in RAID 0
2x400GB HD in RAID 0

Thanks for any help, I'm getting desperate!

have you checked the ram for errors?

also is the memory setting to "spd"

that probably will help

Take out 2 gigs of your memory and try again. I'm pretty sure that XP is bitching about 4GB being in your system, unless you are installing the x86-64 version. XP Pro SP2 will only see 3.5GB of that RAM anyways unless you do the PAE hack.

fireluxx said:
Take out 2 gigs of your memory and try again. I'm pretty sure that XP is bitching about 4GB being in your system, unless you are installing the x86-64 version. XP Pro SP2 will only see 3.5GB of that RAM anyways unless you do the PAE hack.

I'm guessing this is the winner. I took out 2 Gigs and it ran stable for 20 mins which was about 19 minutes longer than it had before. Running Memtest on the memory now. This sucks if it is the case - I want my 4 Gigs :( :mad:

What is the PAE hack?

I'll let you know what I find out with Memtest.

Physical Address Extension hack. Intel and AMD processors have had this feature since the Pentium Pro days.

To enable it you need to make the following modification into the boot.ini file:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="????" /3GB

???? = The following 32 bit OS's:

Windows XP Professional
Windows Server 2003
Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition
Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition
Windows 2000 Advanced Server
Windows 2000 Datacenter Server
Windows NT Server 4.0, Enterprise Edition

Both sets of 2GB Ram passed the memtest. Computer is stable now with only 2GB.

Thank you all for your help - now I can finally get this thing done!

Back