new build is DOA, no red led on mobo, help

Lawdog

Limp Gawd
Greetings everyone. Did a new build over the weekend and have a problem and I'm looking for some help.

Summary: On the very first power up, hit power button, everything started to spin up and it stayed on for all of about 5 seconds, if that. It simply turned off. I heard no beeps or noises that I can recall.

After this, I see no red led standby light on the mobo. Nothing to indicate there is any life at all.

Here are the relevant specs--all parts new except memory:

Mobo: Abit NF7-S v2
AMD 2600 XP-Mobile
Memory: 2 x 256 mb chips, Ultra PC3200 DDR400 (pulled from same type mobo in an older machine)
PSU: Enermax Noisetaker 370w
XFX 6600 GT AGP
Seagate 120 gb hard drive
Thermaltake Volcano 12 heatsink and fan

Here's what I've done:

1. Panicked. :(
2. Unplugged PSU.
3. Reset CMOS clear jumper to clear and removed battery.
4. Unplugged all peripherals, video card memory, etc.
5. Unplugged and carefully checked every power connection in the box.
6. Flipped PSU power switch a few times, per instruction manual, which talks about the auto PSU self-protect and reset mode.

So, basically, I have a dead box giving me no signs of life. Since there is no light from the red standby led on the mobo, I am thinking there is a complete absence of power and I may have a dead PSU as opposed to a dead mobo. On the Abit tech support forums, even the mobos that turned out to be dead still showed when they were receiving power with the red led turned on. So, that is why I'm leaning to suspect the PSU.

I intend to check this by pulling everything out and attaching a different PSU with minimal components.

Does this sound like the best course of action here? Has anyone experienced something similar? Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions!

Lawdog

sounds to me like a dead PS as well. Like you said, normally even if the mobo is bad, the LED will light on the mobo.

You could also try unplugging everything unnecessary (HDs, CD drives, etc.) and see if that helps get the thing to light up.

BigBadBiologist said:
sounds to me like a dead PS as well. Like you said, normally even if the mobo is bad, the LED will light on the mobo.

You could also try unplugging everything unnecessary (HDs, CD drives, etc.) and see if that helps get the thing to light up.

Thanks for the lightning fast reply, BigBadBio!

I did that--I had absolutely everything unplugged at one point except the ps to try to rule out things. No dice there.

I suppose even Enermax PSUs can be defective out of the box? Anything is possible, but I should would not have figured that!

Problem Solved--Update

Howdy. I swapped out the power supply last night and sure enough, it fired right up.

The telltale clue was the red led light that immediately turned on when I turned on the PSU. It then fired right up.

Whew--mobo safe. Thanks for the input.

Lawdog

Back