• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New build... Help!

NukeULater

Gawd
Joined
Sep 12, 2006
Messages
917
I just received my new PC parts today. I've run into a few problems though.

Abit IN9 32X Max 680i
Intel Q6700
4Gb (2x2Gb) of G.Skill PC1000
2x nVIDIA 8600GT's (I'm waiting for the 8900GTX)
PC Power & Cooling Quad Silencer 750W
2x SATA Seagate 500Gb hard drives
2x SATA Lite-On DVD-RW
Vista Ultimate 64 bit

Problem #1
If I have my two G.Skill dimms installed in the motherboard, the BIOS will reconize them at 4Gb. Okay that's perfect, but once it passes the BIOS screen and starts to load the OS. It will give me a BSOD, it don't matter what slot the dimms are in. It always happens. Oh, and neither dimms are bad, I can load the OS with either one installed, just not two of them installed at the same time.

Problem #2 Solved
When I installed vista, I only had one hard drive installed. (To make the install easier) Vista installed like a dream, just when I plugged the second drive in windows does not reconize it. Though the BIOS does. I have the boot drive (C) as drive 1 the other Seagate is drive 2 and the 2 DVD burners are 3&4 on the motherboard's SATA ports.

Problem #3 Solved
I'm trying to get my data from my old hard drives (2 Western Digital 80Gb IDE drives). I have one set as the master and the other as the slave. I plugged them into the lone IDE port on my new motherboard, and neither the BIOS or windows will recognize them. I'm not sure why, but that's what happens.

Any help would be appreciated.
 
1. set dimm voltage to 2.0 or 2.1v. make sure it is not trying to boot at 1t.

2. you must partition and format drive for vista to recognize (if its a new drive) control panel/administrative tools/computer management/disk management

3. make sure they are jumpered correctly. make sure that ide is enabled in bios.
 
1. set dimm voltage to 2.0 or 2.1v. make sure it is not trying to boot at 1t.

2. you must partition and format drive for vista to recognize (if its a new drive) control panel/administrative tools/computer management/disk management

3. make sure they are jumpered correctly. make sure that ide is enabled in bios.

I've already booted at 2.1V, and set the timings for 5-5-5-15. I looks like the RAM is running at 800MHz, which is under what this RAM is rated for.

Okay, problem two is already solved. Thanks anyway!
 
probably your best hope for help is the abit USA forums as you'll probably find more users of that mobo there (you might also want to edit your op as it's an IN9 32X not an AN9 32X ;)).
What BIOS version?
 
probably your best hope for help is the abit USA forums as you'll probably find more users of that mobo there (you might also want to edit your op as it's an IN9 32X not an AN9 32X ;)).
What BIOS version?
Thanks for catching that...:eek:

I just flashed the BIOS, I'm using version 1.3. It works perfectly. I'm starting to think it's a vista problem, because I've tested both sticks of RAM on at a time. The system will boot perfectly, with one dimm in any slot. When two dimms are installed, the BIOS sees the dimms and says 4Gb is installed. CAS at 5-5-5-15, running at 1000MHz. It's only when windows loading bar appears, then it flashes a BSOD at me.
 
assuming that you have the RAM set at the correct voltage (tried 2.15V or 2.2V?) then perhaps a driver problem?
 
this seems kinda basic but what arrangement did you try? according to the manual, it can be in dimm1 and dimm2 or dimm3 and dimm4. If you only tried 1+2, try 3+4. if it works, there's a whole slew of possible reasons why...::confused:
 
assuming that you have the RAM set at the correct voltage (tried 2.15V or 2.2V?) then perhaps a driver problem?
Yes I've tried running the ram at 2.2V and it still wont boot. It's always the same problem, it never changes.
 
this seems kinda basic but what arrangement did you try? according to the manual, it can be in dimm1 and dimm2 or dimm3 and dimm4. If you only tried 1+2, try 3+4. if it works, there's a whole slew of possible reasons why...::confused:
I've try 1+2, and 1+3, I'll try your idea tonight.
 
Back
Top