Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Bad

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • so so//could be better

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

urbanlegend786

Limp Gawd
hey, i had taken a break from the computer world since september when i sold my setup and now i have taken up a new hobby, Video/Audio Editing. I need a computer in which i can run avid, photoshop, Sony Vegas and other programs with ease. The computer needs to be dual core. I was looking at some of the new stuff in the market and i dont kow whats good and wats not. I already have a Case, OS, mouse & keyboard, Monitor and Dvd Drive. I only will be spending around 1000-1200 this is what i came up with, i really dont understand opteron proc's but i read around and ther supposidly awsome. and i will not be doing any overclocking wat so ever...

this is a direct link to the
Wishlist

if it deosnt work just tell me and ill post up individual links to each item

seeing the diffrence in the speed of my proc(above) and the one uu reccomended me, will i see a dramactic decreas, or should i just get a socket 940 mobo?

1) Drop the Raid Edition WD drive. You don't need it (and it would be worse for you to use it).
2) As noted, go with a 1xx Opteron or an X2.
3) You might want to go down a little bit on the chain of 7800gt's, I think they dip down to about $300 with hot deals sometimes so you could save some bucks there.
4) If you save enough maybe go with more ram?

If you only have $1000-$1200 it would be a bad idea to go 2xx Opterons since the prices on those motherboards is really high (not to mention 2x dual core would be like $700 just for procs).

You will be better with the 1xx opty because

1. I dont think there are PCI-e 940 mobos and
2. 940's need registered ram that is expensive.
3. I dont think there is any performance differnce between the 939 and the 940s if anything the 939 would be slightly faster with their higher HT speed.
I'm pretty sure thought that they are basically the same chip with a dif pin out.

The 1xx is better. more compatible.

dont go with corsair value select if you plan to overclock (wich would be the reason why you would pay the extra money for an opteron)

my 2 cents

Shogo said:
dont go with corsair value select if you plan to overclock (wich would be the reason why you would pay the extra money for an opteron)

my 2 cents

QFT, if you aren't going to overclock then definately don't mess with the opterons. The only reason that they optys are popular is that they are speedbinned more conservatively (for greater reliability) so they usually have more overclocking potential.

Also, absolutely DO NOT mess around with a skt 940 setup. There is absolutely no point. You will take performance hits from the ECC ram, plus you will pay out the ass for everything. More expensive ram, more expensive PSU, waaaaaay more expensive processor and motherboard. And it absolutely isn't meant for gaming.

Back