• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New build for Xmas

euskalzabe

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
May 9, 2009
Messages
1,478
Hey all,

My current build (AMD FX-6300 | Nvidia GTX 770 | ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS | 8 GB DDR3 1333) is getting a bit long in the teeth and I've decided I'm going to donate it to a friend and get myself new parts. I've put a list together and I'd like to hear your opinions on it. I have no budget restriction, but like to keep cost rational in relation to my personal preferences:

- gaming at 1080p (despite a future upgrade to 4K TV-monitor, I won't game at 4K but will use 4K desktop)
- micro ATX motherboard

I won't purchase any of this until Xmas, but it seems Zen/Kaby Lake won't be released in time for me to put the parts in my xmas list... so most likely I'll get the following:

Gigabyte GA-H110M-A
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 2133MHz
Intel Core i5 6500

I'm currently leaning towards the LGA 1151 motherboard instead of AMD because even if KBL releases in 2017, I could get the mobo/memory as Xmas presents and then just get a KBL i5 in February since they're compatible. I can't imagine KBL micro ATX motherboards will be that much better as mATX don't usually have any bells and whistles. The CPU though, why not get the newest i5 available.

Besides that basic build, I'll get a RX480 or a GTX1060 whenever the current gross price gouging fades away (I ain't paying $300 for a reference card that's supposed to cost $250). The GPU will be decided when I see the performance of new fall games that I'll likely play next year (BF4, Watch Dogs 2, etc)

I'd say that's a balanced rig that'll just cost around $325 + GPU, what do you think?
 
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I would invest in an aftermarket cooler seeing as how all the reviews I've read say the stock heatsink is garbage.

Interesting. I'm currently using the fan that came with my FX 6300. Could it be any better than whatever ships with the i5? I've never really purchased an aftermarket solution (I game with noise cancelling headphones anyway so if it gets loud I don't even realize).
 
I say yes I agree with the after market cooler but I also think you need to wait. xmas is more than three months away. buy now if you have the money, wait till black Friday sales or wait till xmas sales start. not much point asking now if youre not building for 3 months.
as far as coolers go, look at a reeven justice or at minimum a 212 evo. oem is garbage and its not just about noise.
 
not much point asking now if youre not building for 3 months.

That's a reasonable statement. The only reason why I'm planning now is because both Intel and AMD have stated that their new desktop CPUs won't release until Q1 2017, so whatever's on the market now is what I'll be able to purchase by Xmas. No new parts are expected, hence why I'm leaning towards 1151 and get a KBL CPU upon release in Jan/Feb.
 
If you are not planning on overclocking there is zero need to spend the money on an after market cooler.
 
That's what I've always thought - I never overclock anything, hence why I stay with the stock cooler.

Really, all I need is 1pcie x16 for the GPU, 1pcie x1 for my USB add-in card, 2 SATA for my 2 SSDs (took the bluray out months ago as I couldn't remember when I had used it last) and 2 RAM slots for 16GB. Boom, done. That's why I remain loyal to microATX - it always provides that well and leaves plenty of space in my case for cable management and good ventilation.
 
I disagree.

If your stock cooler fan starts to whine and/or fails (and it will at some point). You're in for quite the hassle.

If a fan starts to whine/fail on say a Hyper 212 Evo, all you do is pop the fan off the heatsink and replace it.

I've been on both ends of this scenario and I'm never going to use a stock cooler again.
 
I disagree.

If your stock cooler fan starts to whine and/or fails (and it will at some point). You're in for quite the hassle.

If a fan starts to whine/fail on say a Hyper 212 Evo, all you do is pop the fan off the heatsink and replace it.

I've been on both ends of this scenario and I'm never going to use a stock cooler again.


Never, ever had a stock fan do that and I've built every one of my PCs, sans laptops, in the last 27 years. I'll repeat that - never, ever and it is somewhere over 30 systems considering the ones I've built for others. I've broken each one in with at least 3-4 days of Prime 95 to sufficiently stress the system.

If you get an Intel boxed processor, it comes with a 3 year warranty - that includes the stock fan. If your crap fails, that is what the warranty is for. If it lasts 3 years and fails, time for an upgrade.


The only fan whine I've had has been on a GPU. Only fan failures have been system fans.
 
Back
Top