New build for a new builder.

jermany755

Weaksauce
Hey guys I'm looking to build myself a Christmas present. This is my first full build so any advice is appreciated. I will be playing mostly CS:S and most likely the new Starcraft and Diablo when they release.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
- Mostly gaming and web browsing.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
- Looking to spend about $1000 but less is always better. =) Tax and shipping included if possible.

3) Where do you live?
- Seattle area.

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. Please be very specific.
- Just the tower components. CPU, RAM, case, mobo, GPU, DVD burner, HDD, PSU... whatever else I'm missing. If I decide I need to upgrade my peripherals then it will be a seperate purchase.

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
- BenQ 19" 4:3 monitor for now. Also re-using regular dell keyboard, logitech mouse, antec lansing speakers.

6) Will you be overclocking?
- No.

7) What size monitor do you have or plan to have?
- I want to be able to play 1920x1200 on a 22" monitor. I'm planning on buying a nice widescreen in the next couple of months.

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
- Now thru the end of December.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
- Mmmm none I think. As long as it has built in sound and interwebs then I'm good. Crossfire or SLI support I *might* want but I think those gpu's are out of the scope of this build. You tell me.

All I've really decided on is a case and a GPU but neither is written in stone. This forum has been VERY helpful btw.

Case: Antec 900 is supposed to be $60 tomorrow. I'm thinking about jumping on that depending on the MIR status.

Mobo: I'm still pretty clueless about mobo's and cpu's and what makes them good or bad. Help!

CPU: See above...

GPU: This is what I'm trying to build around. I'm not so much looking to get the "best deal" on a graphics card as I am concerned about getting the right card. Everything else is negotiable. That being said... I'm not exactly shooting for the stars here. I'm thinking about getting a GeForce 2260 or Radeon HD 4870 or maybe a 2x4850 if I can stay under budet. This Sapphire card looks like a really good deal bundled with ram for $275.

Mobo - Asus P5Q Pro - $115 (not including $15 MIR)
CPU - Intel e8400 - $165
PSU - Corsair 750TX - $120 (not including $20 MIR)
RAM - G. Skill 4 (2x2) GB - $45
HD - Western Digital 640gb - $70
DVD Drive - Samsung - $25
Video Card - EVGA GTX 260 (216 shaders) - $250

Total - $790 - $35 MIR = $755

If you want, you can go for this GTX 280 for $420 before the $30 MIR, bringing your total to $960 - $65 MIR = $895

Alternately, you can get the VisionTek 4870 for $275, bringing the total to $815 - $35 MIR = $780.

CPU is your call, for $15 more you can get the Quad Core Q6600.

I was unsure whether or not you needed/wanted a sound card.

This is all pre-tax, pre-shipping.

The combo link from Rydizzle saves you an extra $30. ;)

The PSU in joe's list is a bit overkill. The Antec EA650 is on sale for $50 @ the egg right now, ending on the 26th or until they sell out -- great PSU for super cheap. I'd jump on that right now, if I were you. Your system doesn't need 750W, nor even 650W, but at $50, you can't beat that deal.

Most 22" LCD monitors are 1680x1050, and no, you can go higher than native resolution on LCDs. If you want a 1920x1200 widescreen 22", it'll probably be more expensive than a 24" monitor, since thats the typical native res for such a size LCD.

Antec 900 for $60? not bad... I dont like that case, but that doesn't matter, since its your case. :p Cases are personal preference. If you can't get the 900 for $60, you should be able to find the CM RC-690 for around that same price, just need to shop around.

Check the GenHard FAQ and build guide for help, if needed.

The PSU in joe's list is a bit overkill. The Antec EA650 is on sale for $50 @ the egg right now, ending on the 26th or until they sell out -- great PSU for super cheap. I'd jump on that right now, if I were you. Your system doesn't need 750W, nor even 650W, but at $50, you can't beat that deal.

The antec, like the Corsair 650TX, leaves no room for possible expansion into SLI (the GTX 260 requires 2x 6 pin PCI-E connectors, which is all the PSU has). If you EVER plan on going SLI, don't get the 650TX or the Antec, as you'll need to upgrade your PSU again.

jermany755, since you're in Seattle be sure to check the Fry's add you can usually find a cpu-mobo combo deal from Fry's that no one, not newegg not anyone can touch. Right now its some crappy E5200combo, but the E7300 and Q9550 have been part of a super deal in the last month.
You need to check it periodically because their deals today will be different during the BF time frame

Wow! Thanks for the feedback everybody. I like your lineup Joeshmo and am kind of split on the psu debate. I wouldn't mind stepping up to a SLI setup and 24" screen even if it puts me a little above budget. My main concern is how the rest of the equipment listed will keep up. If I have to go one step up on all the components to get full potential out of the graphics card then I can see the cost growing quickly. Any thoughts?

enginurd: ya I'm not a huge fan of how the 900 looks but it's hard to resist just based on the price savings. I'll have to do some more research into what makes it so special. =)

GonzoP: thanks for the tip on Fry's. I actually work at CC so it's almost sacrilege to shop there but our hardware selection sucks balls and you gotta do what you gotta do, ya know?

The antec, like the Corsair 650TX, leaves no room for possible expansion into SLI (the GTX 260 requires 2x 6 pin PCI-E connectors, which is all the PSU has). If you EVER plan on going SLI, don't get the 650TX or the Antec, as you'll need to upgrade your PSU again.

There's no need to SLI for a 22" monitor. The P5Q Pro board doesn't even support SLI. Therefore, I see no reason to buy an SLI capable PSU when a more than capable PSU costs HALF the price (thats 100% more in cost for SLI capability).

Yes, if you're building an SLI/CF system, the TX750 is a nice choice for single GPU cards, and at a great price. However, if you don't need SLI/CF, then don't bother making it an upgrade path unless you plan on picking up a 30" monitor SOON; because even a 24" monitor is handled by a single GTX280, OC'd GTX260-216, or HD4870X2 (or HD4870 1GB at a minimum) -- again, no need to complicate things with SLI/CF when a single vidcard can handle the res.

You have to decide what size monitor you'll be getting. An SLI setup will cost considerably more, but is not needed for a 24" monitor. I'd suggest keeping a single vidcard setup, even for a 24" monitor -- less complicated, less power consumption, less problems. An SLI setup will require an NVIDIA board, and the only boards worth buying are the FTW models, and they're still not problem free. Intel chipsets are much more reliable/stable, and they run cooler and also OC better.

There's no need to SLI for a 22" monitor. The P5Q Pro board doesn't even support SLI. Therefore, I see no reason to buy an SLI capable PSU when a more than capable PSU costs HALF the price (thats 100% more in cost for SLI capability).

Yes, if you're building an SLI/CF system, the TX750 is a nice choice for single GPU cards, and at a great price. However, if you don't need SLI/CF, then don't bother making it an upgrade path unless you plan on picking up a 30" monitor SOON; because even a 24" monitor is handled by a single GTX280, OC'd GTX260-216, or HD4870 -- again, no need to complicate things with SLI/CF when a single vidcard can handle the res.

My issue here is the option to reuse the PSU in future upgrades.

Anyway, I'm fairly certain that the $49.99 Antec deal is only good through tomorrow, so I'd act quickly if you're planning on that one. If you're waiting longer, the normal price of the antec makes it a worse deal than the Corsair's.

As far as the monitor goes, I'm in a similar situation. I just upgraded my video card to a GTX 260, and will probably be going with a 22" LG that has 1680x1050 native. Less resolution=less demand on the video card=you don't have to constantly upgrade your GPU to get good framerates.

Ok cool I would really like to stay single card if I can manage it. Maybe a 280 just to "future proof" (I know) against getting a 24" screen.

oh ya... the psu is one of those components you can easily take with you into the next build huh. Hmmm...

My issue here is the option to reuse the PSU in future upgrades.

Anyway, I'm fairly certain that the $49.99 Antec deal is only good through tomorrow, so I'd act quickly if you're planning on that one. If you're waiting longer, the normal price of the antec makes it a worse deal than the Corsair's.

Future upgrades within the next year or two is fine, I guess. And if that EA650 deal wasn't around, then yah, the $100 TX750 is a steal. However, there will be changes in the ATX spec and other power requirement/connector changes in the future, so don't plan on keeping a current high end PSU to remain as a high end PSU 3-5 yrs from now.

How often do you build? If you build often, then yes, getting a beefier PSU that will ascend from system to system is good. If you build every 3-5yrs, I'd get whatever is needed for now. 650W is plenty for a single card system, even with more drives added and OC'ing that CPU... more than enough.

I agree... the only reason to get the EA650 over the TX750 is for its price, so decide soon. Deal ends on the 26th.

Don't get me wrong. If you plan on staying single card, the Antec is a great deal.

Personally, I don't see why people go SLI on <26" monitors when a single card would likely perform just as well.

Going with the Antec, the combo mobo+CPU, and the GTX 280 will still leave you well under $1000 (around...$850ish I think). Leaves plenty for a quality monitor.

The Asus P5Q Pro + E8400 combo deal at $250 is a good deal. On the Corsair TX750 PSU, at $120 upfront, you might as well get the BFG ES-800 for $110 upfront and $70 after rebate with shipping. 65A on the +12V rail. It comes with 2 x 6 Pin PCI-E Connectors and 2 x 8 Pin PCI-E Connectors. But, enginurd is right, the Antec EA650 for $50 w/free shipping is a deal at $50 w/free shipping. Plenty power already to run any video card right now even a Radeon HD 4870X2. No sense in SLI as he won't be able to with a P45 chipset mobo.

Generally the "OC'd" version isn't worth extra money, since you can OC it yourself.

However, according to HG, the OC'd version of the GTX260-216 performs similar to the GTX280, for much less cost.

Hmmm. I think I read that over at Tom's Hardware as well. Something I can look into more since the GPU will probably be one of my later purchases.

$435 upfront? Aww man don't get that. I would go with a GTX 260 (216). I still recommend the XFX Geforce GTX 260(216) Black Edition for $300 w/free shipping. Yeah, there is cheaper GTX 260s but, this is the fastest GTX 260(216) video card right now and it does offer a nice package that comes along with it.

1. Factory O/C speeds - 666MHz core clock, 2300MHz memory clock and 1404MHz shader clock. This is more than a reference GTX 280 already. Plus, you still can O/C it yourself for added performance
2. Comes with Far Cry 2 already included in the box which retails for $50. No need to Register with Manufacturer to qualify with those other GTX 260 you buy. Also, it comes with 3D Mark Vantage Advanced Edition. A $20 value
3. Free shipping included.

I would go with this now since prices have changed

Case - Coolermaster NV 690 for $60 or jump on the Antec 900 case for $60
PSU - Antec EA650 for $50 w/free shipping
CPU/MOBO (Combo Deal) - Intel Core 2 E8400(3.0ghz) + Asus P5Q Pro($15 MIR) for $250
RAM - G. Skills DDR2 1000 for $50 w/free shipping
Video - XFX Geforce GTX 260 (216) Black Edition for $300 with FC2 and 3D Mark Vantage included for $300 w/free shipping
HDD - WD 6400AAKS 640gig for $70 w/free shipping
Optical Drive - Samsung 22X Sata DVD Burner for $25 w/free shipping
HSF - Xigmatek HDT- S1283 120mm rifle for $32($10 MIR) w/free shipping
Bolt-Thru Kit for $5 from sidewindercomputers.com
O/S - Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64 bit for $100 w/free shipping

Total: $942 before shipping and rebates

I would go with this now since prices have changed

Case - Coolermaster NV 690 for $60 or jump on the Antec 900 case for $60
PSU - Antec EA650 for $50 w/free shipping
CPU/MOBO (Combo Deal) - Intel Core 2 E8400(3.0ghz) + Asus P5Q Pro($15 MIR) for $250
RAM - G. Skills DDR2 1000 for $50 w/free shipping
Video - XFX Geforce GTX 260 (216) Black Edition for $300 with FC2 and 3D Mark Vantage included for $300 w/free shipping
HDD - WD 6400AAKS 640gig for $70 w/free shipping
Optical Drive - Samsung 22X Sata DVD Burner for $25 w/free shipping
HSF - Xigmatek HDT- S1283 120mm rifle for $32($10 MIR) w/free shipping
Bolt-Thru Kit for $5 from sidewindercomputers.com
O/S - Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64 bit for $100 w/free shipping

Total: $942 before shipping and reabtes

+1. Except for maybe the case, that's a personal choice with little relevance (assuming you pick one big enough) to the rest of the build. Get one that works for you that you like.

Yeah, I just threw in that Coolermaster case. Hehe. If I was to build something right now, I would personally build this for a 22" or even a 24" monitor.

I like it. I have an XP install disk that I believe I can still install on another computer so I should be good there. Unless there is an overwhleming reason to go get Vista? :confused:

edit: and ya I'm planning on getting a 22" but want to leave enough performance headroom to play on a 24" if the bug bites me.

No particular monitor in mind. I'm just not very brushed up on native resolutions.

Sorry to noob it up in here but can I get a link to that bolt-thru kit? There seem to be several on sidewinder for socket 775 but some are specific to Thermalright coolers?

If you can afford it and don't mind the UI, go for Vista. Microcenter has Home Premium 64 OEM for $80 + shipping.

... Sorry to noob it up in here but can I get a link to that bolt-thru kit? There seem to be several on sidewinder for socket 775 but some are specific to Thermalright coolers?

Thermalright LGA775 Bolt-Thru-Kit (Universal)
http://jab-tech.com/Thermalright-LGA775-Bolt-Thru-Kit-pr-3605.html
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/lgbowiscsp.html

XIGMATEK ACK-I7751 Retention Bracket - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233019

Damn, I want the antec 900 tomorrow! Saw this myself also. $60 FTW! I need it for my new build that I'm slowly getting in during this week.

gamerx11 I see your name all over the forum hehe. Cpus, Motherboards, Video cards, Displays, Power Supplies, Memory, Cases & Case Modding.

Damn, I want the antec 900 tomorrow! Saw this myself also. $60 FTW! I need it for my new build that I'm slowly getting in during this week.

Haha same with you. Bored and also wanted to learn a bit more about computers before I go in depth with my 2nd build. Want to actually do my right unlike my first build lol.

Hey I was reading about the issues with using 4 gb of ram with xp and have decided to go with vista 64 as you suggested. Is this the version you were talking about? I can't find anybody selling vista that differentiates between vista 32 and 64. I'd like to avoid the hassle and nominal fee of the microsoft update if I can get the right version in the first place.

edit: FYI to those in the northwest. Fry's still has it for $80. Niiiiiiice.

Hey I need help. I missed the antec PSU deal cause I was waiting till 3 pm for the antec 900 to go on sale. Well apparently that's when the "good till 11/26" deals ended and the EA650 is $99 again. So I'm trying to pick another PSU. I can wait to buy, but take a quick look and see if there are any deals here that I NEED to jump on.

OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI 700W - $90 ($50 after MIR)

CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W - $100 ($70 after MIR)

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W - $105 ($85 after MIR)

Antec True Power Trio TP3-650 650W - $70 straight-up

PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W - $95 ($60 after MIR)

Thermaltake Purepower W0129RU 600W - $95 ($55 after MIR)

All are free shipping.

Thanks!

Back