new build, few questions.

mord

Limp Gawd
Ok, my gaming rig died almost a year back (Mobo shorted and killed the vid card and mem all at once). A little before that I became really busy with work and had already stopped gaming due to lack of time. I have a bit more time on my hands and would like to get back into gaming a little. Not a competitive FPS type more along RPG, MMORPG, and a little solo FPS. Image quality is more important then every last frame per second, but no slide shows please. I would also like to be able to use the new setup for graphics work, coding, and maybe some LIGHT video work. I do multi task heavily. As in 10-15 Apps open and working at once. I often have a large (100meg plus) graphic rendering, compiling code, while watching streaming video, working on some other project in between.

I convinced one of my bosses to give me $1000 to spend on upgrading to do a little work from home. I can spend a little more out of pocket but I want to stay as close to the 1K as I can.

This is what I am thinking so far:

E6750 or Q6600 Yes I will OC. Will the Quad help on my multi tasking?
Abit IP35 Pro - I like Abit, but I like GigaByte and Asus as well.
Corsair 520 or 550 - I have used the HX on a PC I built for someone and loved it.
SuperTalent 2 x 1GB kit -Good reviews and I try to support made in USA (or
assembled at least) when I can.
Thermalright ultra 120 extream or tuniq tower.
8800 GT or 8800GTS 512MB. Maybe go with EVGA and do the upgrade thing if the 9 series is out in next 3 months.

Is the Corsair 520 large enough? I think it should be. I have a case and drives already. though I might get a faster HD. I have an older sata 150 drive now.

Looks good. Yes, the 520W is more than enough for your planned system. Stick with it.

For a faster HDD, go for a Seagate 7200.10 or 7200.11 drive.

If you don't need all the features of the IP35 Pro, drop down to something cheaper, like the DS3R, DS3L, or IP35 vanilla instead.

The E6750 vs Q6600 decision depends upon what you are going to do with the machine (in terms of what software you will use) and how much you plan to OC the processor. Generally speaking, your average high E6750 OC will be a few hundred mhz higher than your average high Q6600 OC, but for software that utilizes four cores, the Q6600 will come out on top by a substantial margin.

There are also ways to increase the chances of getting a Q6600 that will OC well. If you buy from www.clubit.com, you will be assured a G0 stepping chip, which will have greater OC potential than previous revision B3 chip. Expect a good air OC of 3.6ghz for the Quad (although people with a recent batch report 4ghz on air,) while a good air OC on the Dual Core should net you 4ghz.

Mark.

Yah, they all have the same chipset, so they all OC similarly. However, boards without heatpipes to cool the chipset/mosfets will need additional cooling to reach high FSB speeds (higher than 400 or so; for my DS3R, anything higher than 425Mhz FSB SDR needed extra cooling, so I used a 40mm fan).

This will help you determine whether or not the quadcore is for you...
http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu_2007.html?modelx=33&model1=872&model2=871&chart=418

Back