New build feedback request

jonathonball

[H]ard|Gawd
Upgrading from the rig in my signature. Keeping my existing Antec P280 case and Corsair AX1200i PSU.

OS is going to be Windows 10 Pro

Link to related question about RAID-0
Link to related question about the GPU

Last edited:
My only suggestion is you might want to consider trading size for speed regarding your memory selection.

Your MB can handle all the way up to DDR4 3400 and your currently targeting DDR4 2400. The sweet spot for price/speed/size right now is around 16 GB of DDR4 3000. You may not need 32 GB anytime soon, unless you're doing heavy video editing and/or running a lot of virtual machines. To be fair: In a few years 32 GB may be more of a requirement than it is now, but then again it may also be a LOT cheaper then.

Also, currently the Skylake/Z170 builds don't support quad-channel so there's no "immediate" need to go with 4 modules as opposed to 2 on your build. If you plan on getting big CPU cooler you might be safer requiring only 2 DDR slots as opposed to 4 - it's not uncommon for CPU coolers to hang over one of the DDR slots forcing you into a 2 module solution.

For example consider something like this that is faster and $60 cheaper (at the cost of half the size). You can always lower the speed and reduce the timings if you favor lower latency. Then upgrade to 32GB of DDR4 3400 in a year or two after prices come down (or just buy another pair of the same model).
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 F4-3000C15D-16GVR

Bottom line: your build looks awesome. You'd be perfectly fine going with it as is. I'm just nit-picking about the memory because I believe you could get a little more bank for your $$ there, or possibly even save some by going with 16GB for now.

Last edited:
I agree with the 16GB DDR4 suggestion. The prices are inflated right now. Unless you know you need all 32GB right away, you can always add them later - at lower price and faster speed.

Definitely go with the prior ram suggestions, 32gb is overkill and way too expensive considering the speed you are shooting for. Get 16gb of 3000 and you won't even notice a difference. Everything else is essentially solid. considering what gen your previous i7 is there is no point in trying to lower your cpu to the i5 since you will likely hold out for upgrades until a proper gen comes out that will support the financial cost / performance gain. Very good sir.

Back