New build does not see keyboard or mouse

HardyOne

Limp Gawd
Using an Asus P9X79 MB with i7 3930K. When I boot into bios, the keyboard and mouse work just fine, but when I try to boot into Windows, the mouse and KB do not work. Both are USB type. Also, I insert a USB pendrive and the bios sees those without issue. What am I missing?

I assume you're using windows 7?

I had a bunch of problems installing windows with my keyboard and mouse (usb), but it usually worked okay after windows launched.

Have you tried using different USB ports? I would also, assuming your bios has the option, set USB mode to legacy and see if that helps.

Thats interesting, I just encountered somethimg like this on a Z68 Vpro (3).

Since Jan on all my various P67 Z68 mobo, I always diabled legacy USB 2 and 3 support in bios, since I am not running Win XP or Win 98. And I dont want bios/Win 7 wasting time trying to detect something not there. Everything worked fine in all mobo in the ensuing 11 months. Just 2 days ago, I spilled some soda on my KB and went to Fry's and bought a couple more. I used the new KB for first boot and everything still worked as expected. The next morning I started up the PC and everything went wrong. I triple boot, 7 X64/7 X64/Mint 11, and I couldnt select from my boot menu, then it wouldnt boot from the right system. I spent several hours trying to figure out what the hell was going on, including switching to my cloned HDD - nada.

Then I got a split second message "no KB detected"!. That blip saved my ass. I immediately figured it was the legacy USB disabled. So I went into bios, set both legacy to enabled, and everything worked again.

I now see SOME USB KB (or mice) NEED the legacy to work in the basic no driver bios booting mode (my bootmanager screen selection).

I was going to recommend as the other poster did to enable legacy USB, but I see that the P9X79 has more complicated set of options in bios now. Looks like they were aware of the prob and have now allowed legacy only in start mode as a specific option in "AUTO" setting. Kudu's to ASUS.

Try that and report back. If it still doesnt work you will have to try dif brands

23gxnnq.jpg

Make sure you are not plugging them into the USB 3.0 ports, especially when installing Windows.

Make sure you are not plugging them into the USB 3.0 ports, especially when installing Windows.

This, done it a few times in the past couple months. After you get in Windows and have drivers installed you can work mouse and keyboard off the USB 3, but why would you? :D

Yeah, I had to move my mouse around to get it to work in windows untill all chipset drivers were installed. I'm used to putting the mouse/keyboard in the uppermost USB but those are 3.0 on a lot of the x79 boards.

The change in the bios fixed the KB/mouse problem. The next thing is the CD drive. Again, it shows up in the bios, but will not boot the Windows install CD. I have tried connecting it in all the SATA connections on the MB. I don't see anything in the bios, although, as was already pointed out, this new bios type is a bit confusing.

Ah yes, the cant even load Windows prob.
This is the worst horrific issue you can have - one can live with the some USB HW doesnt work prob, the no wake from sleep prob, the intermittent cold no boot prob, the SSD no detect prob, but when you cant even load an O/S - what then?? On a $400-$500 mobo?

First of all on the X79, if you are successfully loading RAID with Win 7, especially with SSD's, count yourself either very good, or just plain lucky.
http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...d=1&model=P9X79+DELUXE&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

Then theres the "regular" cant load windows from DVD nightmare - all the way back to Jan 2011 and the P8P67
http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...d=1&model=P8P67+DELUXE&page=1&SLanguage=en-us
http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...d=1&model=P8P67+DELUXE&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

Things you can do:
Make sure KB/Mouse set in rear I/O USB 2 ports (non red)
Put your Win 7 X64 disk in while booting so the light stops before the bios screen (or try again after its now inserted), go to EZ page, and physically drag and drop the DVD icon to first position, exit and save and reboot.
Buy a new DVD drive, preferably Sony Optiarc for some reason
Try a BRD drive
You said tried all controllers iNTEL port 6 WITH no HOT PLUG?
With SATA III data cable? (6G)
Load Win 7 X64 SP1 onto a bootable USB stick, and set it as first boot in in bios
Desperation:
Try IDE mode
Try X86

Tho I am now thinking, since Intel rushed this chipset I would just use my older system and wait a few months till they get the oproms straightened out and ASUS implements them in their bios upgrades.
Crazy, eh?
As I recall Intel RAID with UEFI bios would still not fully recognize 3TB drives in RAID (came out as 746GB avail (or 3TB minus 2.19TB) until August AFAIR. So I had to wait 8 mo to use my Hitachi 3TB drives - heh
http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...d_id=1&model=P8P67+PRO&page=1&SLanguage=en-us
http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...O&id=20111002051317665&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

Dont blame ASUS - this is an INTEL ISSUE!!
Just think of yourself as a first adopter guinea pig.

Last edited:
I was able to load a Windows install with SP1 onto a USB stick and was able to install Win7-64bit. I put my two raid drives onto the Marvel controller, so loaded the Marvel drivers. The problem now is that I cannot access my CD drive at all. The CD drive is a Sony Optiarc and is now not seen in the bios at all. The drive is like it has no power - of course it does and is connected to the SATA port. I switched it around and tried a different SATA cable, but it's just not working. The bios is set to ACHI mode and in IDE mode it is still not seen. Anybody know what I should try next?

I need to see EZ page at bottom where the icons are
F12 with USB FAT32 inserted
Then post LINK after uploaded to tinypic.com
those images are gigantic - the link alone will be fine
Then do a mouse rollover for ea icon and list them in your post (in order)

You could try APM power on by PCIe
Also try another BRAND PSU - your current PSU +5VSB risetime may be too slow
Buy a NON LIGHTSCRIBE LG 22X DVD from NE for ~$17
This one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136240

Also need an equipment list - dont even know what X79 you have or PSU

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean by EZ page. Is this the bios screens?

My computer now has brand new hardware - included in this list is:
Corsair AX850
Asus P9X79 Pro MB
i7 3930K
Corsair H100 cooler
12 GB of OCZ DDR3-1600 memory - this is not new.
The CD drive is a Sony Optiarc Lightscribe

On the bios boot page does the DVD show at bottom (scroll down) in the boot overrides section?

If it doesnt, you will have to spend $17 and try the drive I linked to above. If it does then show we can fix it. If it still doesnt, you will have to wait for a new bios with better "compatibility". It may be the lightscribe feature in firmware - dunno

On the bios boot page does the DVD show at bottom (scroll down) in the boot overrides section?

If by this you mean the screen that shows when hitting F8 - alternate boot device:
No, it does not show up. I did recall that I have an old XP machine of mine that has a CD burner in it. I may try to swap these two drives this weekend to see what happens. If that doesn't work, I will opt for a new burner.

cisco_guy - I got the LG drive and it works perfectly. My old Optiarc does not work no matter where I plug it into. That means it is either dead or not compatible because of the Lightscribe. Thanks for the help.

Back