New Build Decisions

MajorM

n00b
First off im going to post this on both the Intel and AMD sections to try to get both opinions as right now I dont really have a side.

So its time to replace my old build that consists of the following:
CPU- Intel Xeon X5670 OC to 3990 MHz (6 cores and 12 threads) Open loop watercooling I can move to the new system
Ram - 24 Gigs DDR3
Video Card - Nvidia GTX 970

Im mainly gaming but am trying to teach myself coding as a possible career move and also do some CAD work so its not uncommon for me to be running multiple programs all the time. I know its no secret Intel currently has the lead in gaming but thats not all I do so thats why AMD also has my attention. I also like the fact that AMD has kept the same socket but with that said how soon will the next socket change be since it has been used for a while now. With intel I feel like I get one to maybe two upgrade chances but at this point on the Z390 boards this is kind of it from the options being put out so its pretty much done with this build. The last AMD build was a Opteron 175 if I remember right so as you can tell its been a while. My current setup is so oddball that I really dont know what to expect to get with the upgrade or how to even quantify it.

I was looking at the i9 9900K (simply because the i7 9700k doesnt have hyperthreading) and the AMD 3700X to 3900X processors. I have been reading that the AMD processors dont really react like im used to with boosting the bclk on the Intel processors and overclocking them is more on the memory side. Is there some kind of limitation im missing on the AMD processors that makes them have a slower single core clock?

For the RAM I was going to go with 2 - 16 Gb sticks unless there is a reason not to.

For the video card I was going to go with either the EVGA 2070 Super or the 2080 Super depending on what price point CPU I went with. I may still get the 2070 regardless but plan to game at 1440P once I upgrade my monitor. I planned to get a 144Hz display but know I wont max that out with a 2070 at least with the settings turned up. I also always run two displays.

Anyway let me know what your opinions are on all this and feel free to ask any other questions that may help. If I can buckle down and find the parts in stock I plan to get this rolling as soon as I can.

For games: Unless you need the absolute fastest single thread performance (which means a highly overclocked Intel part) a Zen 2-based Ryzen system is going to be your go-to system. With a 2070 or 2080 you're probably going to be GPU-limited regardless of Blue or Red team.

For productivity: Red team. There are edge cases where an Intel system may match or exceed team Red in certain productivity applications but unless you're in that app day in and day out you're better off going AMD.

Ryzens currently use the AM4 socket which is supposed to be supported to (possibly through) 2020. If you look around on this forum a bit you can see people speculating whether or not Zen 2 is the last supported CPU for the AM4 platform; if AMD supports DDR5 in Zen 3 AMD might do a socket change.

My last AMD-based system was a 1.2 GHz Athlon. If I were building a general purpose machine today I'd go 3900X. I'm spoiled with high thread count machines (two 12c/24t and one 16c/32t workstations on tap) and I don't see myself going any less than 12c regardless of how much better the 3900X would perform over the three (old) Xeon-based workstations I currently use. I'd also grab 2 x 16 GB RAM sticks, as is your plan. Since I don't have a Ryzen system yet, other people in this forum would be better mentors in regard to how much RAM to get and what type but, as with thread count, one of my workstations has 32 GB of RAM and the other two have 64 GB so I don't want to go below 32 GB for a general purpose machine.

coding/multitask - advantage: AMD
Gaming - advantage: intel

Both? - advantage: AMD

I’d recommend a 3900x on the limited info. 2x16gb to start

This is how I have my 3700x playing with the stock cooler in place on a x470 board and a RX 5700 flashed .. which is live benchmarks in a way as how it games

This is how I have my 3700x playing with the stock cooler in place on a x470 board and a RX 5700 flashed .. which is live benchmarks in a way as how it games

If I were to build a PC today that's not a TR build, I'd take the black Friday deal 3800x and 5700XT.

Back