• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New Build, Can't Make Up My Mind On CPU

grifter_66

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Jun 2, 2005
Messages
1,828
OK, there is a pretty good chance that I will be building a new PC in the next two weeks (if the one I am currently using sells) and I have pretty much made up my mind on most of the build:

Power supply removed, rethinking my options.
Thermaltake Armor Case
ABIT IP35 Motherboard
2 GIGS of Mushkin DDR2 1066
EVGA 8800GTS (G92)
150GB Raptor
500GB Barracuda with 32mb of Cache
and an
ASUS DVD Burner

My dilemma is I can't decide between the new 45nm E8400 or a Q6600
I am pretty sure I can get the Q6600 up to at least 3.4GHz but I could probably get the E8400 to 4.2GHz. My main use of this PC at the moment is gaming and graphic design but the design stuff will run equally well on both machines. Where the problem comes in is there is a good chance I will be doing a good amount of Video editing in the near future using either Adobe Premiere CS3 or if I'm really lucky Avid Media Composer. If I go with the Quad Core I will probably have to dump the Raptor for another Barracuda do to an already strained budget. I will be adding to this machine in the future (more RAM and HDDs) but for the next 6 months it will stay as built

What do you guys think, build for gaming(Dual Core) or build for work(Quad Core)?

I was also thinking about getting the Thermalright Ultra 120, have any of you used this with the above ABIT board? I would hate to grab this and an OEM chip and not have it fit on the motherboard.
 
why do you need such a big PSU, you get a lesser wattage one and save yourself some money

personally I would get the e8400, but that is me, cheaper, higher OC and you can always get a cheaper quad in 6-12months on your next upgrade
 
why do you need such a big PSU, you get a lesser wattage one and save yourself some money

personally I would get the e8400, but that is me, cheaper, higher OC and you can always get a cheaper quad in 6-12months on your next upgrade

I like to leave my self open to possible upgrades. If down the road for some reason I decide I want to go SLI or get couple more HDDs (on top of the SLI) another optical drive and more ram I don't want to come any where near my PSUs limit. If you have other ideas I will take them but I would like to stick with a modular PSU.

(and better quality)

Links?
 
Given that you intend to keep the system for a while (upgrading etc.), and that you intend to use it for high-end applications and gaming, perhaps you should consider the X38 chipset instead of the P35.The price difference is about $50-$80 for the mobo (which isn't much relative to the $ you are looking at for the entire system)

as far as the modular PSU, read this page.
 
Given that you intend to keep the system for a while (upgrading etc.), and that you intend to use it for high-end applications and gaming, perhaps you should consider the X38 chipset instead of the P35.The price difference is about $50-$80 for the mobo (which isn't much relative to the $ you are looking at for the entire system)

as far as the modular PSU, read this page.



I'd have to go say the x38 is a waste of money. It offers no performance advantage and it's extremely expensive and gives very little more over the ip35-pro. I just bought a new setup, which is very much like yours, i went e8400. I use nothing that takes advantages of quad cores right now, and 4.0ghz daily OC + 6mb cache, low wattage CPU is where it's at.
 
I'd go with the P35 chipset myself. It's cheaper, and just as solid, if not more. Also, Photoshop CS3 actually doesn't take advantage much on a quad processor since it's still single core orientated and not really optimized for quad core processors, nor dual core for that matter.
 
Given that you intend to keep the system for a while (upgrading etc.), and that you intend to use it for high-end applications and gaming, perhaps you should consider the X38 chipset instead of the P35.The price difference is about $50-$80 for the mobo (which isn't much relative to the $ you are looking at for the entire system)

as far as the modular PSU, read this page.

So you think I should get the ASUS Maximus I'll be using optical out for sound so the extra sound card is useless to me, ASUS P5E,Gigabyte GA-X38-DS4 or the ABIT IX38? I have spent so much time looking at these motherboards I don't know which way is up. The only reason I went with the IP35 is because I recently built a Q6600 system with one and I liked it, easy setup and a great overclocker. As far as PSUs go If I take your advice (gonna do a little more research but modular is probably out) and go with the PC Power and Cooling will a 610w unit be enough for a fully loaded SLI rig or should I stick with a 750w?

AARRHHG! Too many options not enough brain power...head imploding!

I'd go with the P35 chipset myself. It's cheaper, and just as solid, if not more. Also, Photoshop CS3 actually doesn't take advantage much on a quad processor since it's still single core orientated and not really optimized for quad core processors, nor dual core for that matter.

Yeah I really think I'm gonna stick with the P35 and looks like for now the E8400 may be the way to go.
I'm not really worried about Photoshop or Corel but for video editing (Adobe Premier and Avid) I would think the 4 cores would be a huge boost over 2 even if they were slower.

Now to figure out my new found PSU dilemma, thanks guys. :D
 
not trying to make your head hurt :)
I suggested X38 since you wanted Intel chipset, and made mention of SLI so...

unless you REALLY think you will want dual video cards later, I agree that the P35 is a very solid and affordable choice. And I also agree that the new 45nm processors are looking great! Early units are showing good overclocks and lower voltage = lower heat = better.
 
not trying to make your head hurt :)
I suggested X38 since you wanted Intel chipset, and made mention of SLI so...

unless you REALLY think you will want dual video cards later, I agree that the P35 is a very solid and affordable choice. And I also agree that the new 45nm processors are looking great! Early units are showing good overclocks and lower voltage = lower heat = better.

P35 chipset supports SLI doesn't it? The ABIT board has two PCI-E slots.
 
Well for starters you can't go SLI on an Intel chipset, P-35 or X-38. For that you'll need an nVidia nForce board, such as the EVGA NF-78-A1 780i. Second, SLI is only of benefit if you plan to game at a resolution at or above 1920x1200. Third, SLI is rarely, if ever worth it as an upgrade solution, as by the time you are ready for that second card, a newer single card solution will be out that will outperform two of your older cards in SLI. (Note that while this hasn't necessarily been the case with the latest round of cards, it certainly has been in the past, and will likely be again once ATI puts out a competive product... which will be soon.) Upgrading to the newer card can save you money as well, as you can sell the older card in the process. Also take note that nVidia rarely drops the price on older parts when newer parts are launched.

Considering this, I would recommend you buy the ABIT IP-35 board you've selected unless you game at a high res and have the cash to go SLI now. It's one of the best P-35 boards on the market. Moving to X-38 will not net you any additional advantage unless you want a Crossfire setup, which is ATI's version of SLI... hence read the above paragraph :)

If you are going to do video editing using Premier, you will probably be better off with the Quad. Most, if not all G0s will get you to 3.4ghz without issue, provided you have good cooling. For programs that take advantage of four cores, the performance of a lower-clocked quad will surpass that of a higher clocked dual core. As for games, however, a E8400 with a 4.0ghz+ OC will trump the Quad, but depending on your monitor resolution, it may not matter since you may be bottlenecked by the graphics card.

As for the PSU, the OCZ isn't the best choice. Consider one of the popular Corsair HZ models instead, such as the HZ 620 or 520.

Good luck with the build!
 
I do game on a 24" monitor so I could definitely use that extra horse power from SLI eventually but I haven't heard to many good things about the 680i or 780i chipsets and my imagination tends to far exceed reality so in truth I will probably never use SLI and considering the argument you just gave me is the same one I have used many times I don't know what I was thinking.

When you say that OCZ PSUs aren't that great does that include the PC Power and Cooling line? I'll take a look at the Corsair HZ models but I always thought those were super expensive for what they offered.

Can any of you recommend a good review site for PSUs?

At this point it seems my new PSU choices are Corsair 620w or one of these PC Power and Cooling units

Wow! This has gone a bit off topic.:)
 
The review standard on the web for power supplies is jonnyguru.com.

As for OCZ, historically the quality of the power supplies has been lower than the competition, but their acquisition of PC Power and Cooling should help a bit. Unfortunately I don't have any recent knowledge about OCZ branded PCP&C CPUs. I recommended the Corsair models based on their extreme popularity with people on this forum. They are known to be very well built and highly efficient, such that a HW-620 watt model can power an 8800 Ultra SLI rig.
 
thanks for that link - very interesting read. Actually, a rather intuitive conclusion, but it sure helps to put things in perspective regarding CPU vs. GPU.
 
Ditch the raptor and the 500 gig drives. Get 3 250 gig drives raid 2 of them, then spend the rest on another 2 gig of ram or higher ram modules. my 2 cents
 
I'm not the authority on hard drives, but the raptor 150 seems faster to me than raid 0 with any 2 drives. If you want space/value then definitely get the raid 0, but if you want speed then stick with the raptor. Another 2 cents worth.
 
Ditch the raptor and the 500 gig drives. Get 3 250 gig drives raid 2 of them, then spend the rest on another 2 gig of ram or higher ram modules. my 2 cents

Raid 0 is a waste of time and resources and it's not worth the risk of the array being corrupted and you loosing everything. I have run a raid 0 array and other than the super fast Windows install I really never noticed a significant difference. I am actually just going with 2 500GB drives with 32MB of cache.

Thanks for the article mlightsey, it was a great read.
 
Back
Top