New build advice

Axsuul

Limp Gawd
Hi, thanks for your time, I need some advice with this build

Everything. Gaming. Productivity. Photoshop, high resolution image editing, Corel painter, 3ds Max, Digital painting
Budget is $1300ish
Los Angeles, CA
Build will consist of CPU, Aftermarket CPU Cooler, Mobo, RAM, GPU, PSU
Will be reusing case (Lian Li v1200b), hdds, dvd burner, monitor
Looking to OC to 4 GHz
Looking to get everything in the next few weeks
Need RAID, SLi support in the mobo
Will be using Win7 x64 and have license

So the build so far consists of:

CPU - Intel i7 930
CPU Cooler - Noctua NH-D14
Mobo - GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R
RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws 6GB SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit
GPU - eVGA 460 GTX 1GB
PSU - Corsair 750TX

So far, Amazon has been cheapest with $982.85 total shipped excluding the memory. Not bad, any suggestions and criticisms are welcome, thank you!

EDIT1: Added case
EDIT2: Changed RAM to triple channel from dual channel

Last edited:
First off, which case do you have?

More than likely, your old case needs upgrading because it may have been an older case that is cramped on the inside and/or has inadequate cooling capabilities (that case might have accommodated only two fans - or worse, two tiny 80mm fans). In the worst cases, you might as well forget overclocking or even running that i7 at stock speed; instead, you might as well permanently fix the CPU's clock speed to the slowest 1.6GHz speed.

Oh yea, good looking out. The case I have is the Lian Li v1200b. This is the interior

inside640.jpg

I think it should be enough room

Yes get those instead. You can see how much ram you are using, and if you need more add another 6gb :)

does anyone know that Noctua cooler would fit in that Lian-Li case?

u still near irvine? Microcenter has the CPU for $200.

I'd go for the NH-U12P instead, since it's cheaper and can definitely handle 4.2Ghz on that CPU. NuT has his with nice temps, forget the actual numbers, though.

Which HDDs do you plan on re-using? and in what config? (RAID0?) With your budget, I'd definitely suggest an SSD or two. http://ssd.alphaq.org

Oh, and what monitor do you have?

Nice find on the $200 at Microcenter, definitely gonna take advantage of that!

I plan on using a solo 320 GB for my OS, no RAID =p Hmm, what SSD would you recommend? I normally use a lot of space on my OS drive (even though I have application data, media, etc on other drives). Even 80 GB is pushing it for me

I got one 24 inch (i forget model) and one Del 2001fp 20.1" screen

Nice find on the $200 at Microcenter, definitely gonna take advantage of that!

I plan on using a solo 320 GB for my OS, no RAID =p Hmm, what SSD would you recommend? I normally use a lot of space on my OS drive (even though I have application data, media, etc on other drives). Even 80 GB is pushing it for me

I got one 24 inch (i forget model) and one Del 2001fp 20.1" screen

There are some sandforce drives at 100gb and normal indilinx drives that go to 160 and above. I still recommend the intel x25-m g2, it is a tad pricier but for the past, what... like 6 months, it has still reigned as one of the top performing drives out there.

Back