New Build Advice

jagatucci

n00b
Hi All,
I’m planning on building a new C2D-based system and am looking for advice on my tentative build parts. All of the components below are currently available at New Egg and come in at around $2000 total. My component decisions are based on gaming potential.

All feedback concerning any of these parts and the overall configuration is welcome. However, I’ve listed some specific concerns below. Thanks in advance. I’ve bottom-lined my primary questions in red.

Video Card: EVGA 640-P2-N821-AR GeForce 8800GTS
Mobo: EVGA 122-CK-NF68-TR LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe 2.13GHz LGA 775 Processor
Memory: CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Case: Thermaltake Armor Series VA8000BWS Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower
PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610 EPS12V EPS12V 610W Continuous @ 40°C Power l
HD: Seagate Barracuda ES ST3320620NS 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
HS&F: ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler
Optical Drive: LG Black 18X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 18X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD
Monitor: ViewSonic VG2230wm Black 22" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD
Input: Logitech G7 Wireless Laser Mouse
Operating System: XP Pro (for now)​

My Concerns/Questions:
Of course, the memory issues with the EVGA mobo. I am well aware of issues people are having, but it sounds like there are ways around the overvoltage issues that can be taken if you’re careful. I’ve also chosen the Corsair RAM directly off of EVGA’s list of compatible SLI ready RAM. I’d love to hear from anyone who has had experience with this mobo (good or bad). Bottom Line: are the EVGA 680i problems really that widespread and numerous that I should be scared away from this board?

Overclockability of the E6400 on the EVGA board. I’ve read plenty of positive results OCing with this CPU/Mobo combo, but any other experience OCing with these components would be great. I plan to get as much out of it as I can using air and the 3rd party HS&F listed above. Bottom Line: Are the chances of getting this CPU to 3Ghz as good as many OCers are indicating?

Anyone currently running a similar system in SLI mode? My mobo choice is based on price and the potential it has to allow me to toss in another 8800 card in the near-future. However, I realize that DX 10 cards are probably going to expand in versions and availability over the next year or so (perhaps longer?). So, is going with the DX10 compatible 8800 a good choice here? As an alternative, I can pair my current 7900GT KO 512 with another 7900 GT KO 512 and save $90. Bottom Line: Since I’m not using Vista yet, should I stick with the 7000 series and wait on DX 10 and DX10 Cards to mature? Or will a single 8800’s performance outmatch SLIed 7900GTs and be worth the extra $90 it will take to build a Vista/DX 10 ready system right now.

Again, any other comments concerning any of the other components are more than welcome. Thanks again.

Thanks for the concise and clear feedback. Good call on the RAM chip point: I'd forgotten to consider that. The RAM I'm currently considering is the CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) , which has several different revisions on the list you linked me to. Is there any way to find out what revision of ram you're getting (perhaps by part #). Only only one of the revisions on this type of RAM has the micron chip (PC6400C4 Rev 1.1 & 1.2 & 1.4
4.0-4-4-12 @ 2.1V Micron D9Gxx (B6-x).

I agree with what was posted above. I have the 680i and have experienced no problems. However be aware the EVGA 122-CK-NF68-TR does no have the lifetime warranty like the -AR. I have mine OC'd to 3.6 stable but am waiting for a new cooler to keep it at that speed.

Also go with corsair for the PSU. They are amazing.

And be aware that the nforce drivers for vista are not ready yet.

Thanks for the reply to my post. Yeah, I've switched my cart to the EVGA 680i version with the lifetime warranty (the EVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR, right?). The difference in price was like $20 or so.

As far as the PSU goes, the following Corsair was my first choice: CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 620W Power Supply. Is this the version you're referring to. I only switched it out for the PC Power and Cooling because it had an instand discount that made it $10 cheaper. Is the Corsair really that much better??

Thanks for letting me know your OC results. That's encouraging. What type of RAM are you using?? Also, what type of case did you toss your EVGA 680i into?

Thanks again.

Thanks for the reply to my post. Yeah, I've switched my cart to the EVGA 680i version with the lifetime warranty (the EVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR, right?). The difference in price was like $20 or so.

As far as the PSU goes, the following Corsair was my first choice: CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 620W Power Supply. Is this the version you're referring to. I only switched it out for the PC Power and Cooling because it had an instand discount that made it $10 cheaper. Is the Corsair really that much better??

Thanks for letting me know your OC results. That's encouraging. What type of RAM are you using?? Also, what type of case did you toss your EVGA 680i into?

Thanks again.

You have chose the right motherboard. Make sure that you register it at evga.com within 30 days.

I would recommend the corsair because it is really more like a 750-800 watt power supply and it comes with a 5 year warranty. PCP& C (3 year warranty) are also great so that is a hard decision. Go ask around in the PSU forums, I bet they tell you to get the corsair.

You can see my ssytems spec in my sig. You may want nicer ram than me bc I have a 6600 and dont need to raise raise the memory as much as you may. The case is really a preference thing. I would go with a lian-li or cooler master for their high quality.

Back