• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New Build - $1300 Budget

AMD_RULES

2[H]4U
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
3,010
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Photoshop, Web Browsing, Skype, HD Video Playback, Music, Microsoft Office, Programming (Java), etc. NO GAMING
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$1300. Tax and shipping are not included in this budget.
3) Where do you live?
PA
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
I need a case, cpu, motherboard, ram, hdds, optical drive, psu, etc.
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
keyboard, mouse, printer
6) Will you be overclocking?
Yes
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
I am looking to get a large LCD-LED monitor... probably a 22 or 24 inch depending on what the budget allows me to get.
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Soon
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? etc.
USB 3.0, SATA6GB/S. I would like to get a SSD drive for apps/boot and a separate hdd for storage. I would prefer that both drives be SATA6GB/s. I also need wireless.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.


I would prefer to order everything directly from Newegg. Thanks!
 
Last edited:
Here's one idea for the internals of the PC tower:

$330 - Intel Core i7 2600k
$150 - Asus P8P67-M Pro
$80 - G.Skill Value Series 2x4GB DDR3 1333
$135 - Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC064MAG-1G1 64GB SSD
$80 - Samsung Spinpoint F4 HD204UI 2TB HDD
$16 - LG GH22NS50B SATA DVD burner
$15 - Rosewill RNX-N180PCe PCI-E x1 wireless adapter
$180 - Asus ENGTX460 GTX 460 1GB
$60 - Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W PSU
=====
$1046 - Subtotal (not including shipping, taxes, or rebates)

I didn't choose a microATX case because I don't know which style you prefer. Your case preference may also limit which CPU cooler you can use.

One major problem: The motherboard is currently out of stock. The only other P67 mATX board available at NewEgg is the Intel BOXDP67DE, but I have no knowledge of its overclocking capabilities. With Sandy Bridge, only the P67 chipset allows you to overclock the processor. The H67, in contrast, allows you to utilize the onboard GPU that is inside every Sandy Bridge processor.

With Sandy Bridge and the P67/H67 chipset, the CPU and RAM speeds run independently of each other. In other words, you don't need RAM faster than DDR3 1333, even while overclocking.

You don't need a SATA III hard drive, as all mechanical drives don't fully utilize the available SATA II bandwidth. That said, the SSD is a SATA III device.

There is a way to utilize the GTX 460 for GPU acceleration within Photoshop, which is why I chose that card.

My recommended monitor for you is the NEC EA231WMI-BK as its E-IPS panel will give you excellent color reproduction (for Photoshop). However, buying the monitor in addition to what I recommended above will burst your budget. You can drop $100 from the above total by going with the Core i5 2500k instead of the i7-2600k, but you'd lose the 2600k's Hyper Threading support. You could also go with a cheaper TN panel instead of the NEC monitor, but TN monitors aren't so good for Photoshop as any IPS panel. You could also drop the SSD for now, but I would then suggest that you replace the HD204UI with the Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB HDD. What compromises are you willing to make?
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I'm think I'm wiling to stick with the ATX form factor... could you recommend another motherboard that is ATX please?
 
I would go with the foxconn board over the zotac and then upgrade to a p67 board when they come out.
 
How does this look?

$149,99 - ZOTAC H67ITX-A-E
[URL="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152245"]$79.99[/URL] - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 HD204UI 2TB
$224.99 - Intel Core i5-2500K
$169.99 - EVGA GeForce GTX 460 SE
$119.99 - Silverstone SG05 mini ITX
$94.99 - CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (2x4GB)
$134.99 - Crucial 64GB SSD

As bastage and I alluded to earlier, you won't be able to overclock the processor with the H67 chipset.

Stick with the G.Skill kit instead of the Corsair kit; the G.Skill kit that I recommended earlier is a consistent 1.5V whereas the Corsair kit may fluctuate between 1.5V and 1.65V.
 
As bastage and I alluded to earlier, you won't be able to overclock the processor with the H67 chipset.

Stick with the G.Skill kit instead of the Corsair kit; the G.Skill kit that I recommended earlier is a consistent 1.5V whereas the Corsair kit may fluctuate between 1.5V and 1.65V.

Thank you. I forgot to mention my reasoning in that post.
 
Back
Top