• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New Budget Rig Plans.. Need Advice

Joined
Jan 5, 2005
Messages
59
Alright here is my updated computer setup that I am thinking about going with... Any comments or advice would be appreciated!!

AMD 64 2800+: $128

CHAINTECH nForce3 250 Chipset Motherboard: $76

Mushkin 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200: $66.55

Lite-On Black 52X32X52X16 Combo Drive: $39.00

Seagate 80GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive: $69.56

Video Card: Undecided (Need Help)
Case: Undecided (Need Help)

Total (So Far): $382

I want to spend anywhere from $500-600 dollars maximum on this PC. I still need a case and video card with the remaining $200.. I already have XP, and I have a monitor, speakers, keyboard and mouse...Any suggestions on the products I have up there and the ones I still need to figure out? Thanks so much!
 
Any other cases out there that may not be purple like that?? Also is the 9600XT a card that wil be able to at least run some of the newer games?
 
with a 9600xt you can run any modern game, but you may have to settle on lower resolutions or quality settings.

as for a case i would recomed just going to www.newegg.com and looking in teh cases section. do the search on the left and choose the options that you want and choose the option for no powersupply.

the comment above about power supplies is very valid as they are the one part that effects the life of your components the most. feed your components with a cheap/weak/unconsistant powerupply and they will not last too well, feed them good clean power and they will be happy for a long time.
 
I recently built a new setup for 1200 with a lcd monitor and new mx510 mouse. These are the components I used (keep in mind i had to make a lot of changes from my original setup i wanted to keep it near 1200, i know a lot of people say "if you wanna spend a little more", but some people like me don't wanna spend a little more)

Here's mine, you can use as a template if you want:

AMD64 3000+ Newcastle Retail (754pin) - $150
Soltek SL-K8AV2-RL - VIA K8T800 - $82
Leadtek 6800 (Non Ultra) $280
Mushkin Value 2x512 Pack - 2.5-3-3 $140
Antec 1650 Case /w included Antec 350 psu (+12 has 21amps) Not bad $55
Samsung DVD +/- R Dual Layer $59
Hitachi Deskstar 250 Gig SATA $133

= Total $899

I use the onboard sound, and I also use a 3com Card because I like them. However the board does have built in lan, but doesn't have a PXE loader which i like to use for remote install of windows. I don't use any extra components outside of the 3com card.

I had Zero problems with the install, and it has been running flawless. No overclocking, which i don't do anyway. The setup is silent, and the 3.5 bays have rubber mounts for the hdds. although it's a tight fit to work with.

The monitor i use is a LG 1710 B /w DVI i got for 309, also nice for gaming.
 
antec cases are known for being very sturdy, however they are used by thousands of people.

if you are looking for quality antec is great, but if you and to be unique stay away.
 
Back
Top