New budget build

GN85

Limp Gawd
Hi guys, haven't been browsing hardware pr0n in a while, so I don't know what's hot and what's not. Therefore I'd like to ask you guys for a bit of help with building a system for my brother. He will be using is mostly for gaming. I am leaning towards a cheap AMD build (I have an X3 720 and am more than happy with it at stock speed). However, I don't know if it's worth going DDR3, what's a good PSU, or a nice and fast hard drive (still the 6400AAKS?)... as I said my knowledge is a bit outdated, so your help is much appreciated <3

I would like to build the cheapest system possible, but without compromising quality (especially when it comes to PSU) and speed.

-------------------------------------------

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming, web browsing.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
Around $1200 CDN, but the less, the better. I would like to build a budget PC for my brother; thinking of going AMD.

3) Where do you live?
Canada

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. Please be very specific.
-CPU + heatsink
-Motherboard
-RAM
-Video card (preferably ATI)
-Hard drive (space is not an issue, 500GB is more than enough. Should be fast, and somewhat silent)
-CD/RW drive
-Case
-PSU
-Monitor
-Keyboard, mouse

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
None. All new.

6) Will you be overclocking?
Probably not right now, but would still prefer a mobo with some OCing capability.

7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
19 inch or more depending on budget

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Within a week or two

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
Nothing special. Single GPU

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license?
Will probably buy Win7, but it's not part of the budget.

-------------------------------------------

I was thinking of the following components:

$138.99 - AMD Phenom II X3 720
$31.99 ($18 MIR) - Sunbeam Core-Contact Freezer
$79.99 - COOLER MASTER RC-690

For the rest I really don't know. :confused:

Thanks lt_shiro, looks good. :)

Just not sure about the monitor + speakers, but that's probably the best size/cost deal right?

Back