New Beta Steam UI

Moofasa~

[H]ard|Gawd
Well like the title says, there's a new beta Steam UI. All you have to do is add is "-clientbeta betaui" to your command line.

Of course some screenshots...

Just remove -clientbeta betaui from your command line if you don't like it. I'll assume you'll have to remove it anyways when it gets offically released.

Yeah it updated for me after I added the command line; I'm assuming it had to download the new UI.

The skin aint bad. I liked The small minimal layout of the original but this aint to bad.

It looks like Valve is really serious about the content delivery after searching through the store a little.

Steam was ugly before and that is ugly too...oh well HL2 and CSS is dope as fuck and thats all that matters

Well i guess i know why it's still in beta. I tried to look at the properties for one of my games and Steam locked up, and had to force it to close. Oh well, it does look interesting at least, especially the store. Interesting in a "hey this looks different" kind of way, not like it's actually an improvement. I remember reading somewhere that they were chaging the UI to better accomodate a larger number of games in the list, but this doesn't look much better or worse. Oh well, i guess that's why i'm not working on it. :p

Uuuuugh.

Valve: stop using a custom UI! Or at least allow us to somehow disable the custom UI and let our visual styles skin the program.

I have been waiting for this though

The worst part about steam was the lack of download info...now all we need is the total size of everything and we are set.

HighwayAssassins said:
The worst part about steam was the lack of download info...now all we need is the total size of everything and we are set.

Steam always had download status, u just had to goto monitor under the normal GUI.

jdunner3 said:
Steam always had download status, u just had to goto monitor under the normal GUI.
hm...never knew that...oh well live and learn. At least now its easier to find
cool.gif

Terpfen said:
Uuuuugh.

Valve: stop using a custom UI! Or at least allow us to somehow disable the custom UI and let our visual styles skin the program.

You can use your own skins...

how do i add the -clientbeta betaui? Like what do i do? Where do i enter it? Thanks

Edit: I tried adding "-clientbeta betaui" to the "Steam.exe" and it says updating and then it says "the steam service is temporarily unavailble , try again later" am i entering it in the wrong place?

Can someone just send me the skin then i won't even have to download it? Thanks [email protected]

HighwayAssassins said:
cool.gif

Yes much easier to find. I only found that out a few weeks ago because I was reading something on the steam forums. Until then I was in the same boat as you....always wondering exactly what steam was doing.

even if you put a nice coat of paint and some cheap hobby glitter on shit, well its still shit

laxmiddi44 said:
Where do u enter the command line to download the skin?

Right-click the shortcut to Steam and click Properties. In the text box labeled "Target:" there should be a path similar to "C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe"

After the last quotation mark put a space and type in the command. The full target should be "C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" -clientbeta betaui

Restart Steam, and it will update itself and show you the new UI.

HighwayAssassins said:
cool.gif

I found a lot of things with this new UI that i never noticed before on the old one. I went back to the old one and finally found the same things, but they were harder to find. So i guess that does make the new one better.

Has anyone had problems with their 'Friends' list other than me?

I haven't gotten it to work in *months*.... :(

pistol222 said:
Has anyone had problems with their 'Friends' list other than me?

I haven't gotten it to work in *months*.... :(

Yes. Steam friends system blows. Xfire is your friend :D

Im liking it alot. I like how they put the monitor feature in the view games feature. It also seems like it runs "smoother" on my computer. Good job Valve, im seeing great things happening to Steam soon!!!!

fromage said:
But yeah Steam skins do generally suck, but I couldn't careless about the look of my Steam...

I generally wouldn't, but programs with custom GUIs bug me to no end. It's a pet peeve. Valve really should include the option of allowing the OS to skin the program. They can still include their greenish bland-looking skin, and even have it used by default if they want. I just want an option to turn it off.

Back