• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New audio workstation PC build advice

reasoN

Weaksauce
Joined
Dec 3, 2006
Messages
78
My current build is a monster at everything except audio/music/video stuff. The motherboard in my signature has horrible DPC latency issues. I have a friend with the exact same motherboard but he is using Windows XP 64bit, he experiences the same DPC latency spikes as me. So after troubleshooting for months, I have decided that it's time to look for new parts. I hope someone can give me some suggestions on what I should be looking for and what not. I am using a Motu Ultralite Hybrid MK3 audio interface.


1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Music Production, Ableton Live, Reason, Gaming, Work
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$1200
3) Where do you live?
Chicago
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
MOBO, CPU, RAM, PSU, SSD
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
GPU: XFX GTX 260 core 216
Heatsink: Zalman 9700
Case: Silverstone FT02B-WRI
6) Will you be overclocking?
Yes
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
27" 1920x1200
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Week or two
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
Firewire (preferably TI chipset), Raid, Low DPC latency
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit



Here are the parts that I am considering:

CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-620HX 620W
$109.99

G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ
Item #: N82E16820231225
$124.99

ASUS Rampage III Formula LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Item #: N82E16813131666
$299.99


Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601950
Item #: N82E16819115211
$299.99


Corsair P128 CMFSSD-128GBG2D 2.5" 128GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Item #: N82E16820233087
$299.99
 
Last edited:
+1 on the PSU.

I've heard some people having problems w/ Corsair SSDs, make sure the one you picked isn't one of those ones.
 
Do you need the extra processing power or is firewire speed all you need?

Can't you add in this card? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815150074

It seems to do well with audio enthusiasts.

I have a firewire add-on card based on a TI chip. I probably don't need all the additional processing power. Maybe I should just change the motherboard, but I haven't seen any quality LGA 775 motherboards on newegg recently.
 
Maybe it's worth trying another anyway? Given the cost of the upgrade you'd have to undertake, it seems like a relatively small bet.

http://www.unibrain.com/1394_products.html
Choose one you don't have already perhaps? Different bus? (i.e. if you were using PCI, try PCI-E?)
 
Thanks for the input guys but the problem is not with my firewire controllers. I have high DPC latency which most likely stems from the motherboard. Nothing changes when I disable the onboard and add-on firewire controllers in device manager.
 
Back
Top