• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New ATI 10.6 Catalyst features

badcookies

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Mar 17, 2010
Messages
1,674
snippits from release notes about video playback and gameplay:
GPU acceleration of H.264 video content using Adobe Flash Player 10.1

* AMD GPU acceleration of Adobe Flash Player 10.1 delivers smooth high definition video playback and reduces system resource utilization
* Adobe Flash Player 10.1 can be accelerated on notebook and desktop platforms featuring AMD graphics including:
o ATI Radeon HD 5000 and ATI Radeon HD 4000 series
o ATI Mobility ATI Radeon HD 400 series (and higher)
o ATI Radeon HD 3000 series integrated graphics (and higher)

Gaming Improvements
We're sure many of you would like to know which gaming titles are improved with the Catalyst 10.6 drivers as well, so we've ripped that data from the release notes as well. According to AMD, the following performance gains are offered with the Catalyst 10.6 drivers:

3DMark Vantage

* Overall scores improve up to 5% on a single ATI Radeon HD 5970

Batman: Arkham Asylum

* Performance improves up to 5% on CrossFire ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series products
* Performance improves up to 10% on CrossFire ATI Radeon HD 5970 configurations

Aliens vs. Predator DirectX 11 Benchmark

* Performance improves up to 4% on CrossFire ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series products
* Performance improves up to 10% on CrossFire ATI Radeon HD 5970 configurations
* Performance improves up to 3% on CrossFire ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series products

Company of Heroes – DX10

* Performance improves up to 7% on CrossFire ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series products
* Performance improves up to 5% with single card and CrossFire ATI Radeon HD 5970 configurations

Crysis Warhead

* CrossFire performance improves by up to 7% on ATI Radeon HD 5000 Series products

DiRT 2 – DX9

* Performance improves up to 10% on single card ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series products
* Performance improves up to 10% on single card ATI Radeon HD 5970 configurations
* Performance improves up to 4% on single card ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series products

The Chronicles of Riddick - Assault on Dark Athena

* Performance improves up to 15% on CrossFire ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series products
* Performance improves up to 13% on CrossFire and single card ATI Radeon HD 5970 configurations
* Performance improves up to 8% on CrossFire ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series products

Unigine Tropics

* CrossFire performance improves by up to 8% on ATI Radeon HD 5000 Series products

World in Conflict

* Performance improves up to 6% on CrossFire ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series products
* Performance improves up to 8% on CrossFire and single card ATI Radeon HD 5970 configurations

Wolfenstein

* Performance improves up to 18% on CrossFire ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series products
* Performance improves up to 18% on CrossFire and single card ATI Radeon HD 5970 configurations
* Performance improves up to 11% on CrossFire ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series products

The Catalyst 10.6 drivers should be posted on AMD.com very soon, if they're not available already, should you want to check them out for yourselves.

source.
 
Woot. I hope they are released soon. Just got 2 x 5870 and haven't installed drivers yet because I'm waiting for these (and also my cockpit for racing).
 
Nice. The last update was a bit of a disappointment for performance improvements.
 
They keep giving me more and more reasons to buy a 2nd 5870 and go eyefinity.
 
One thing that's bothered me ever since buying a 5770 is the momentary glitch that happens when you close a video playing that's accelerated. I've heard that it's because the dual monitor setup I have are at different resolutions but I would love it if this driver fixes that, or there's another way to stop it. It's only for a split second but its annoying.
 
One thing that's bothered me ever since buying a 5770 is the momentary glitch that happens when you close a video playing that's accelerated. I've heard that it's because the dual monitor setup I have are at different resolutions but I would love it if this driver fixes that, or there's another way to stop it. It's only for a split second but its annoying.

The 10.6 drivers are available right now (in WHQL and Linux flavors) from the usual sources.

Since I (literally) just did the inline upgrade to Flash Player 10.1 and have the HD5450, the improvements in Flash video playback are a definite useful item for moi (the first time in several versions that a Catalyst version addresses something that fits my hardware and what I use it for at the same time; usually it fixes a problem or quibble I may have, but only for uses of higher-end GPUs than mine)
 
Woot. I hope they are released soon. Just got 2 x 5870 and haven't installed drivers yet because I'm waiting for these (and also my cockpit for racing).

They're out (WHQL and Linux flavors); and from the RNs, there's something in there for all the HD5xxx owners this time around (as opposed to being confined mostly to HD57xx and up) with the biggie being support for hardware acceleration of Flash video.

I just did the Upgrade Dance (from Catalyst 10.5); as usual with Catalyst upgrades, no post-upgrade reboot is needed (yay!). Since it's Friday, I have the whole weekend to start shaking things down.
 
When I update the drivers to 10.6, the new MNS and De-blocking features aren't showing up

PS: I have HD5450 on the main system. It does however show up on my gaming rig, which has HD5770.
 
Back
Top