New Apartment, New Router.

Landyin

Weaksauce
I recently moved into a new apartment, and have come to the conclusion I need a new wireless router as well. Currently using my roommates router, D-Link's AirPlus Xtreme G DI-624, but it resets itself often and I keep dropping connection. My computer is set up about 60-70 feet away from the router, and I have a pretty generic 802.11g adapter card(TRENDnet, yeah, yeah, i know, i know). So I've come down to two choices.

Belkin Pre-N Wireless Router

or

Linksys WRT54G (or maybe GS)

Basically, I just want something that'll keep me a good signal strength, and not routinely drop me. All without having to buy a new adapter card, or at least not for a few months. My main questions are: With Belkin Pre-N am I pretty much gonna be getting a "Future-Proof" router? Will the fact that I don't have the same adapter to go with the selected router, matter in the long run(i.e. will it hinder performance so much that itll go below 6Mbps - standard cable internet speed).

My main uses for this is going to be for web browsing, music downloading, and game playing/hosting (warcraft 3, BF2, Quake 3 mostly). Maybe a bit of network file sharing, but thats not too important, as I have a 20ft crossover cable if need be.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

The Belkin Pre-N is nice..I've setup a few of those.
Quite similar to the Linksys wrt54gx..their Pre-N MIMO unit.

The newer Linksys wrt54gx4 is awesome.

Ordering one of their new Draft-N units this week for someone...looking forward to that one.

I haven't setup an old G network since over a year ago..been going all Pre-N/MIMO...much better.

shouldn't you guys wait until post-n? or... 'real-n'?... standardized-n?

i dont know much about it, but "pre-n" just sounds.. obsoletescreaming

true mikey, but I'd hate to spend like $75 now, and then in 10 months, find out I couldve just spent $100 and been good for the next few years, instead of dropping another $100 later, and spending near $200. And from what I've heard, Belkin is using the AirGo chipset, which apparently is the same chipset they are using for N, so one would assume its just a firmware upgrade away from being standardized. But on the flipside, will the Linksys WRT54G/S give me good signal at 75 feet away, while going through three walls? I hate dropping, but if it can handle that, then of course I'll go cheaper and get it. I'm just a little worried it won't.

Belkin 'n Linksys both use Airgos chipset..they've been cousin routers since their G products came out. Matter of fact..I've seen Linksys firmware running on Belkin routers.

The fact that the standard may chance in a year..eh who cares. It's not like they will drop support for these products the day N goes official. They'll remain functional about the same length of time as any other similarly priced unit..probably until it croaks in some power surge.

MIMO has proven itself to me in performance to be faaaaar superior to G..so that's why I stuck with it. Drills that signal down hallsways, through walls, through ceilings and floors. G joined the ranks of B and A in my book...dead.

I have a DI-624 aswell and had a hell of a time with it until I update the firmware. Have you tried to do that yet? Could get you fixed up until the N standard comes in.

I have a DI-624 aswell and had a hell of a time with it until I update the firmware. Have you tried to do that yet? Could get you fixed up until the N standard comes in.

its not my router so i don't have access to upgrade firmware, and the roommate it leaving in like 2 weeks, so i need to replace it with something. Don't get me wrong, the cheaper the better, but I don't wanna end up spending $55 for something that isn't gonna reach and giv eme poor signal. Would rather go with something more expensive thatll work.

Back