New Antec Neo HE 550 just went boom

txstangguy

Weaksauce
Built a new watercooled computer yesterday with a core 2 duo processor, a 8800gts and a Neo HE 550 in it. (I hadn't started overclocking yet, so I was well within 400 watts, so 550 should have no problem.) It booted up just fine and ran for probably 10 minutes. I stepped out of the room to grab my motherboard driver CD and while I was in the living room I heard a pop. I ran back to the office and see white smoke billowing from the top of my computer. I turned off the power strip and opened a window. The entire place stinks of burning electronics. At first I thought maybe water leaked onto a capacitor and shorted it, but I took a look at my motherboard and graphics card and all the capacitors looked good. I figured it had to be my power supply, so I pulled it out and peeked inside through the vent holes and saw a BIG capacitor (~1.5" tall, ~1.25" wide) that had white and green goo coming out of the top. Water couldn't have got to it and my power use was well within specification, so I guess I just got a bad apple. Now I've got to decide whether to replace it or get a different model. I'm hesitant to get anther, since I might end up getting one from the same batch with the same weakness. I'll update once I've seen whether the rest of the hardware was fried when the PSU went boom.

Cliffs:Big Capacitor went up in smoke on a new New HE 550 after 10 minutes.

Returned it to Best Buy and got another one. It's working so far.

Managed to OC my E4300 to 3.27ghz.

Back