New Android Malware Found Every 18 Seconds

HardOCP News

[H] News
One solution to finding this much malware, is to quit looking for it. Problem solved. ;)

Wrap your mind around this statistic: A new piece of malware on the Android platform is discovered every 18 seconds. That’s at least one new malware found in the time it took me to write these opening sentences. That’s insane.

I don't think this is implying that Android is less secure then alternative operating systems. Unless there is some proof of things getting outside the sandbox. This sounds more like fake apps and phishing is the problem. Like downloading "Super Happy Funtime Best Price Crossword Puzzles" and accepting that it wants all permissions.

You can root it, so lets get back to Apple hate, please.

I find myself hating statistics over long periods that convert themselves into small increments of time.

I don't think this is implying that Android is less secure then alternative operating systems. Unless there is some proof of things getting outside the sandbox. This sounds more like fake apps and phishing is the problem. Like downloading "Super Happy Funtime Best Price Crossword Puzzles" and accepting that it wants all permissions.

Seems like every time one of these android malware cause for concern click bait headlines emerges, if you actually bother to drill down into the details there's always something else going on, like people with rooted phones sideloading pirated APK's from torrents and other dubious sources.

These non-stories are a little tiring, boy who cried wolf type thing.

As for why Android is targeted? Well duh, it's the new Windows. The Windows of Mobile, basically. Naturally the biggest OS in the world is going to be what scammers target.

Yeah let's all just all focus on the bullshit headline and ignore the fact that the user is still the weakest link. Most of this Malware won't be found on the Play Store itself. It's found in the deep dark areas of the Internet where people go so they don't have to pony up a few bucks for an app.

Yes, let's call Android a malware cell pool even though the user is the one who download Super Sexy Solitaire that has a total of 10 downloads and that asks for access to everything. :rolleyes:

Nothing to see here. Move along.

What surprises me even more is there isn't a single comment approved on the news article.

I had posted a comment stating that OS Fragmentation is a big issue, I'm not talking about just the major software upgrades from say KitKat to Jellybean, I'm talking about the lack of back porting security fixes and getting them pushed out in a timely manner if ever.

I agree with others on how the user is the weakest link in any instance of Server/Desktop/Mobile infection, however proper patching "Might" help this issue, if at least a few percentage of infections.

I pictured the headline being said in Sly Stallone's voice like he delivered the intro to Cobra.

On a related note iOS malware is not found every 18 seconds or every 18 minutes for that matter. Using Android is about as smart as using windows.

On a related note iOS malware is not found every 18 seconds or every 18 minutes for that matter. Using Android is about as smart as using windows.

Is that a negative? Or a positive?

iOS itself is malware. It's the only kind to have leaked private pictures of owners' orifices to the whole internet.

Yes, and I can wear my undies for 18 days straight and they'll still look like they just came out of the washer but would you want really want to put your face in them?

Don't install apps from shady chinese sites. Problem solved.

The problem is that it's a matter of dilution since just about every app does that now. The other day I was at that store "shit forgot the coupon for the 99 cent cereal, let me install the Safeway app" it wants to know my identity, location, photos/media files, camera, wi-fi connection info, device ID & Call Information.

Ok so the coupon is unique in that it can't be used multiple times, I get the identity bit, I get the location bit because it wants to give me coupons relevant to where I'm at, I even get it wants access to photos/files since it will have a picture of the coupon that can be scanned, but camera? why does it need access to my camera? Wifi connection info? Its making me wardrive? call information? Its going to spam people who call me? find out who's calling me? etc? Then there's all the reasonable stuff, mentioned earlier, yeah its reasonable that they access photos, but what's to say that it's only for their ads and not to simply access all my photos?

When ToS agreements get big, no one reads them, when every app needs access to everything on your phone, no one cares that they have access to everything on your phone, what's the alternative? Oh hey I have this nifty smartphone that has no apps because I refuse to give access to anything.

iOS itself is malware. It's the only kind to have leaked private pictures of owners' orifices to the whole internet.

You really aren't aware of what that was, are you? Because based off of this, I don't think you are.

And, say for a second that security didn't matter, if you're mad about what was leaked, I've got bad news for you.

Back