New AMD Ryzen 2700X Build Help Request

vorpel

Limp Gawd
First off - thanks Kyle for the great review on the 2700X!

I'm looking to upgrade my main system and would like to go with AMD's new 2700X. I won't be overclocking - just running at stock speed with the stock cooler. I do a mix of gaming, photo editing, general productivity, VMs and video encoding.

I'm currently looking at the Gigabyte X470 AORUS Ultra Gaming AM4 motherboard. I don't need wireless (though Bluetooth would be nice) and the board supports 2x SLI/crossfire which I may or may not do down the road.

My biggest question is about what memory to get to maximize performance for the system. I looked at Gigabyte's QVL list for DDR4 3200. It was a bit confusing on the memory support. I am interested in getting 2x8G (16G total for now and would like to leave myself open to populate the other 2 DIMM slots for 32G total). Honestly I've never really looked at a QVL list. Any recommendations on what memory to get? I don't care about looks - just fast performance and reasonable price.

Speaking of QVL lists - I checked Gigabyte's supported M.2 PCIe NVMe drives and I don't see my Samsung 950 Pro (just the 960). I'm assuming that it will work without any issues. Am I incorrect on my assumption?

If there is a better motherboard to get please let me know. Most of the offerings I've looked at (concentrated on the X470 as it is new/current) have more than what I need. Gig LAN, USB 3/3.1, good audio, 2x SLI/Crossfire. Don't care about on-board video, but sometimes it is less expensive to get it than to upgrade/spend more to not get it...!

Thanks so much for reading. I appreciate any/all constructive feedback!

-DC

I'm not to sure on what is supported on the ram front. Check some of the overclock.net forums for ram speeds what I'm seeing is there not a lot of info around Gigabyte X470. The ram speed is where you need to gamble unless you get better data. The idea is that more speed is better the [H]review shows 3400 but what is best and what you can afford and what works on X370 is "samsung b die" (g.skill mostly) ram and some can get 3400 on that as well there some people that can get to 3600 but the difference is that it is slower in certain benchmarks(this was on Asus hero VI). Not sure if [H] has a gigabyte board in the pipeline for review.

Best bet is to stick with 3200 low latency if you feel adventures prepare to spend a good deal more. This ram was used on the test.

I just finished building my new Ryzen 2700x computer last night. I'm running the Gigabyte x470 Aorus Gaming 5. I can only share with you my experience.

I bought corsair vengeance CMR16GX4M2C3466C16 (Samsung B) as I got a decent deal on it. The XMP Profile for 3466 @ 16-18-18-18-36-2T would not load, no matter what. After updating the bios I was able to manually get this ram running fine and stable under load with the same timings/voltage, but @ 3200. Tonight I'll do some testing and see if I can't either get some tighter timings or get my 3466, either way you can take this into consideration as I know this memory does sit at the top of some searches.

3200 is not shabby by any means. Initial release Ryzens were, for the most part, having major difficulty getting to 3200 until several BIOS revisions later.

Thanks for the responses - you guys/gals rock!

Splorch - I would love any updates you can provide as I'm looking at a very similar setup.

Ddr3200 is thebsweet spot but you won't notice a difference between 3000.

The factory cooler is actually VERY good emphasis added.

If you are not overclocking you don't need a fancy high end gaming board with multiple extra power phases and extra thick copper PCB gizmos.

You would be fine with a moderately priced x370 or spend more for a midrange 470.

I think at factory speeds you're gone a be extremely happy. I owned a 1700x and have since sold it and I loved it's power. It was very fast. But I'm more of a die hard gamer who hobbies around with drone footage production and thus I opted for the very popular 7820x due to the higher clock speed potential for games.

I also owned a threadripper but found I couldn't justify nor utilize 16 cores in my daily life hence I sold it.

And wireless AC even Mimo, as well as Bluetooth can be added via USB devices so you can save on a board premium to have those included.

Thanks again for all the feedback. I did check out Overclock.net and found some good info there.

I just ordered the 2700x, Asrock x470 Fatal1ty mobo and G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 3600 which was on Asrocks compatibility list for running at 3200. The memory was a bit more expensive but I had a Newegg Business promo for $50 off.

Can't wait to get it and set it up!

https://valid.x86.fr/qg4jpm

I still need to run some stress tests but I was able to get much better timings and so far it has been stable.

The processor isn't overclocked, that's just the speed it sits at most of time due to xfr.

The video card is also a stand in until I can get a decent deal.

I just finished building my new Ryzen 2700x computer last night. I'm running the Gigabyte x470 Aorus Gaming 5. I can only share with you my experience.

I bought corsair vengeance CMR16GX4M2C3466C16 (Samsung B) as I got a decent deal on it. The XMP Profile for 3466 @ 16-18-18-18-36-2T would not load, no matter what. After updating the bios I was able to manually get this ram running fine and stable under load with the same timings/voltage, but @ 3200. Tonight I'll do some testing and see if I can't either get some tighter timings or get my 3466, either way you can take this into consideration as I know this memory does sit at the top of some searches.

Tha is the price you pay for going with crappy Corsair. Overpriced and under performing. Corasir has very few low latency skus for their memory. They use mostly crappy Hynix memory chips instead of low latency Sansung B-die memory. I can assure you if you had used low latency G.Skill with Samsung B-die chips you would have succesfully loaded your XMP profile at the rated frquency and most likely would be 100% stable on the X470 motherboards. Please learn from your errors.

Tha is the price you pay for going with crappy Corsair. Overpriced and under performing. Corasir has very few low latency skus for their memory. They use mostly crappy Hynix memory chips instead of low latency Sansung B-die memory. I can assure you if you had used low latency G.Skill with Samsung B-die chips you would have succesfully loaded your XMP profile at the rated frquency and most likely would be 100% stable on the X470 motherboards. Please learn from your errors.
I got a decent deal and got a set that has Samsung b dies. While I'm not running them using the xmp profile I did get them perfectly stable at great timings at 3200 (14-14-14-30-44-1t). I am perfectly happy with what I paid vs the performance I am receiving. Sometimes you can't just take the easy path, but reap the benefits of [H]ard work.

I got a decent deal and got a set that has Samsung b dies. While I'm not running them using the xmp profile I did get them perfectly stable at great timings at 3200 (14-14-14-30-44-1t). I am perfectly happy with what I paid vs the performance I am receiving. Sometimes you can't just take the easy path, but reap the benefits of [H]ard work.

They might be b-die but if they are cl16 then they are NOT highly binned. Better buying hghly binned b-die chips and NOT pull your hair out trying to achieve what should come easily.

Back