New AMD GPUs in 2018

Discussion in 'AMD Flavor' started by Lmah2x, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Lmah2x

Lmah2x Gawd

2. defaultluser

defaultluser I B Dum

* Until you get the Tensor units involved.

Turing will absolutely embarrass Vega at FP16 matrix operations (it's calling-card).

GoldenTiger likes this.
  3. euskalzabe

euskalzabe Gawd

Or not. Everything is pure speculation until we have products in hand. We don't even have RTXs yet.

4. ccityinstaller

ccityinstaller 2[H]4U

Yeah, it will be interesting to see the comparison..I would expect Nvidia to come out ahead considering the node advantage, the massive die, and the fact they have allocated dedicated HW for FP16 while VEGA uses traditional programmable shaders just like every other GPU that has come before the RTX cards.

5. extide

extide 2[H]4U

They both use the regular shaders for most FP16 arithmetic. It's just when you do the 4x4 matrix multiply + add of FP16's that you can instead use tensor cores on Turing (and Volta) which is indeed different silicon, and much faster.

6. Dayaks

Dayaks [H]ardness Supreme

We have very clear white papers on turing for fp16. It’s the AMD card that is pure speculation.

Even if an AMD gaming card launched with 20TF if there are no architecture changes that increase IPC (you know what I mean) Turing will run laps around it even ignoring ~1/3 of the die (ray tracing cores and tensor cores.). nVidia already had a huge advantage in TF to FPS efficiency and they increased it even further with Turing.

GoldenTiger likes this.