New AMD Computer

rayg

Limp Gawd
My friend and i both built new computers (motherboard/amd combo from frys for $80 - ECS Elitegroup K7VTA3 and AMD 2500+), and both of our computers will turn on and appear to be working, but the video wont come on. There are no pc beeps or anything either. I can't seem to figure out what the problem is, i realize that the ECS mainboard is terrible but isn't it strange that they won't work for either of us? Any help would be appreciated.

It's hard to help when you don't post the full specs of the machines.

Does the motherboard have onboard video? If so, are you using a separate graphics card? If you are, there is either a jumper on the board or a bios setting that tells it to not use the built in graphics.

No onboard video, I have a geforce 4 ti 4600 that i know works in another computer. I tested another video card and that doesnt work as well.

It doesnt even post at all, no pc beeps, screen doesnt turn on or anything. It's like its powered on but nothing happens.

Take everything out of the machine except for the power supply, motherboard, and processor (and the heatsink). It should post and beep a lot at you. If it doesn't do anything, then take the motherboard out of the case and try booting it up on some cardboard. It might be shorting out on the case.

Then put in the ram, vid card, and hard drive. This should let you boot into the bios. If this works, keep adding components one by one until the machine stops working.

Hopefully something just needs to be reseated.

I dont get any type of beeps or anything with just the powersupply,cpu/hsf and mobo plugged in. Anything else it could be? Would jumpers cause it to not start up?

Try taking the motherboard out of the case and booting it up on some cardboard. It might be shorting. If that doesn't work, try a different power supply.

Are you using a CPU shim? As far as I know, all of the cpu shims I've seen don't work with barton core processors.

I don't think a jumper would be causing it to not post, but I guess anything is possible. I don't know much about ECS boards.

Just a piece of metal between your cpu and your heatsink. If you don't know what it is, you probably don't have one.

how many jumpers does your board have, and what are they for? try resetting your cmos via jumper.

you just bought a kt266a motherboard? :eek:
dude, that is like, at least 2 years old.
no wonder you got a good deal on it.

sorry, I'm not helping so far. heh. i'll try to dig up a relevant bit of information for you.

um... plug your monitor in?
maybe your power supply isn't providing stable voltage to the agp slot. the ti4600 takes a lot of juice.

hehe, its a kt333, and my video card is plugged in. I found out its a grounding problem, the motherboard SOMETIMES works when its outside the case on a piece of cardboard and sometimes doesnt. As far as i can tell, the board isnt getting grounded, its not touching any metal at all and isnt touching the ground.

I'm gonna buy that ECS board with the 1.6 Duron or 1.8 Duron (oem) soon for $39 to $49 at Fry's. I'm just dieing to see for myself what an ECS board is like.

Originally posted by Stlr22
I'm gonna buy that ECS board with the 1.6 Duron or 1.8 Duron (oem) soon for $39 to $49 at Fry's. I'm just dieing to see for myself what an ECS board is like.
Why? That's the silliest reason I've ever heard for getting equipment, especially if it's equipment not known for quality. :confused:

Back