• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New a5+ speakers setup assistance

latham23

n00b
Joined
Jun 21, 2012
Messages
8
Hey there guys,

Just purchased my first ever pair of computer speakers. Decided to go all out and bought the audioengine a5+ monitors.

Seeing as this is my first dive into the wide world of audio, I was wondering if I could get some pointers on how best to set these puppies up (or even links to how to setup new speakers). Both general speaker setup and setup specific to a5+ would be greatly appreciated!

I listen to a wide range of music (jazz, indie, rock, classical).

cheers guys.
 
Taken directly from the FAQ on the a5+ page:

"How easy is it to set up Audioengine powered speakers?
Unpack and place them where you want and plug in the AC cord. Connect the included speaker wire from the active speaker to the right passive speaker. Then plug in your music (iPhone, iPod, computer, TV, etc.) with the included cables and you're ready to go. Our powered speakers are an all-in-one solution with no extra amps or components needed!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDSfLLUpt6Y&feature=related review that points out a few of the features

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFFig7BDiUk unboxing so you know what to expect
 
Try to have the tweeters at ear height and pointed at you. I'd mess around with the placement as you are listening. Remember that everyone has different rooms (sizes, shapes, materials, etc.) and different ears. Everything is a guideline, not a strict rule.
 
Sithsolo: I have read that, but I have read so many people fussing over everything to do with good speakers so wondering if there was any extra advice.

What about a recommended sound card? I have a Asus x79 Pro in my comp at the moment. Could I get away with this or do I need a dedicated sound card?
 
If they're anything like the A2's, try and isolate them from the desk as they will sound much better (not as 'heavy)'. I put some 1/2" polystyrene sheets inside the bags that the speakers came in.

To minimise noise, turn the volume on your sound card right up them use the volume control to set the level - this will minimise any noise.

Enjoy!
 
Try onboard first, if it sounds good to you don't waste money buying another sound card or a usb dac.

If it doesn't sound good:
Sound card - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132010
USB Dac - http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Audioengine-D1 or http://www.amazon.com/HRT-Music-Streamer-II-Resolution/dp/B0038O4UFQ

I'd personally go the USB route as its more convenient to reach and you can use it with other devices such as a laptop.

Put the speakers on these http://www.amazon.com/Brand-Auralex...377375&sr=8-5&keywords=speaker+isolation+pads and make sure they are angled up and not down. Also have the speakers turned in toward your seating position slightly if possible and not facing straight out.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Mayhap mine weren't in "optimal" position - I have them atop the highest tier shelves of my ancient Ikea "Jerker" desk, but they sound great as they are and can fill the (relatively small) room with sound without any trouble. They are significantly above my head, so that may be a big technical no-no, but otherwise they're positioned "properly" in front of me and to the sides. Having them lower down at desk level wouldn't work due to my HDTV/Monitor and other setup.

I think I made a good selection going for these as they were easy to set up to my Asus Xonar Xense without any trouble. The only issue I have however, is deciding about expansion to an eventual 5.1 system, ideally without having to buy a receiver since I already have a sound card with analog and digital inputs.
 
You are fine having them at ear level or above it by a few inches. Play with how far apart they are as it will effect the size of the sound stage. The voices should sound like they are coming from the center of your display.
 
Is there much of a difference in sound quality between a DAC such as the audioengine D1 or a soundcard such as the Asus xonar DX?

If I was to purchase one, which would give me the best results? I am more keen on the DAC option as that means I can use it on any computer/sound system as it has USB connection.
 
I think the Audioengine D1 is on par or slightly above a Xonar STX/ST but I'm not 100%. It should be better than the Xonar DX.
 
Next question, how does a Fiio E10 compare to a Audioengine D1? And would the Fiio E10 be compatible with the a5+? Sorry, new to this, so don't exactly know. The reason I ask is that the a5+ has the RAC cable with the white and red plug, and the D1 has two inputs for both on the back, whereas the E10 only has one.
 
Back
Top