new 970 evo not booting

zalazin

[H]ard|Gawd
I just installed a 970 500 evo in a Huawei D14 ryzen laptop, it had a m2 sata 256 in it. According to google the m2 slot works with either sata or Nvme. However I keep getting inaccessible boot device error. I used Macrium reflect image and I already used the boot repair options on the rescue disk. rebuild bcd etc. i can try to use a win 10 disk to reinstall but hate to waste all that time... Last time I ran into this it was on a lenovo yoga and I could only install an ssd as the same make as the oem.... Now Reddit on google posts that a ADATA XPG SX8200 nvme drive worked fine, so I wouldn't think that is the problem. I can put the sata back but really wanted the nvme. Isn't the Samsung evo supposed to work with the default 10 drivers? I would install the NV samsung drivers afterwards. WTF can't anything just ever work? Any info? Ideas?

It was probably the cloning job. I've had issues with Reflect now and then as well. Surprisingly, I've had good luck with Samsung Magician that came with the drive (or you can download for free from samsung website). At this point, you might just want to reinstall rather than try to jump through all the hoops to reclone or troubleshoot. Installing windows from a usb thumbdrive to an NVME SSD is pretty painless, since it's so fast. Getting all your apps back on though ... yeah, I agree, it's a shitty job to have to do BUT at least you'll have a perfect / fresh install of windows you won't have to worry about.

Last edited:
Fortunately I have a recent usb stick with 1803 on it. If this fails then the m2 probably doesn't really support nvme. Huawei does however have decent support downloads...... Murphy's law at work again...

well the install is working and the Nvme is working fine now just have to update the drivers etc... OH the fun and games of pcs.......

Having way too many issues here I need to clone the original sata drive trying again as there was a firmware upgrade for the 970 hope the image works this time. I cannot do a migration as the machine only has one m2 slot there are no other ssd or sata slot.. I am using usb 3.1 with external sata ssd. I need software that will create an image to restore to the new drive since macrium failed. Second try failed now windows is attempting a repair. I' m about to give up for tonight never had this much crap cloning a boot drive... Windows repair failed and Macrium repair failed. Hate to have to buy an enclosure for an m2 drive to clone to the new one..and it would have to support sata.... Anyone got any ideas. Could secure boot cause the problem cloning or restoring from image?

Secure boot could cause the problem. Turn secure boot off and see if it helps.

I put the original sata m2 back in and am doing 2 image files one secure one not using a normal external drive as my usb adaptors have custom 1051 chips that support trim could be causing a problem with the imaging although never seen it happen before....fingers crossed.... Here we go number three...

Failure number three.. maybe the 970 has a problem but win 10 did install so that's probably not the issue... now the machine is testing the evo 970 for errors.....nope none will try a macrium repair.. HOLY F**K Macrium rebullt the BCD and the machine booted into windows. Only problem is the WinRE partition split the Nvme drive into half.. I did not want a split partition. Final words deleted the winre don't need it and extended partition leaving 7 percent for over provisioning.... Now I know no secure boot use conventional ext hdd and macrium Bcd repair and there you have it.... what a GF...... have a good evening.....all.

Hey Zal, given the amount of time you've been pounding away at this, I would have just done the re-install. You'd probably be done by now :-D

I actually did an install but ran into unexpected driver issues, it was just easier to try to restore one last time.....

Back