New 8800GTS 512MB (G92) Tested

they should have put gtx into the test plus i didn't see crysis bench

Do people ever read anything and understand it fully prior to questioning an article that has the answer?!

It's clearly printed in the front page of that review,

UPDATE - Crysis benchmarks being added later today!!

Do people ever read anything and understand it fully prior to questioning an article that has the answer?!

The important part are the benchmarks, I quickly skipped to them too and got annoyed with no GTX comparison

If this thing is really priced at $299, I'll get one and see about returning my 8800GTS 112SP. If not, then I'm glad I didn't wait, though I am bummed that you guys in the States can preorder 8800GT and 3870 cards for $190-220.

It will most likely be price gouged specially with holidays
Just keep your eye on the hot deals forum

i directly opened bench page so sorry hope you aren't that angry :D

consumes almost as much power as the hd 2900 under load, 65nm process seems to be helping not as much as 55nm process is helping ati.

Uh is it using A2 chip? If so then we can use the same bios and make the 8800GT into an 8800GTS, perhaps?

Should be a touch faster than a GTX except for memory bandwidth limited situations. Overall a nice boost in performance for an extra $50 over the GT. Seems like this will be the top model based on G92. I wonder why this isn't called the 8900GTS.

Well that was rather disappointing... :(

edit:

Well atleast now I know why Nvidia is releasing this thing "quietly", but that brings whole lot of problems to the table. The main reasong being Nvidias very confusing naming scheme. Just when I thought 8800GT was confusing enough (being faster thant GTS) here comes the "new" 8800GTS which is only hair faster than GT. On top of that the power consumption nears the nuclear plant levels. Sigh, well even Nvidia cannot succeed everytime.

As I expected, not impressive at all. 5 to 10% faster than the GT at high resolution.

Color me not impressed as well. Marginal performance improvements over the 8800GT and a huge power requirement doesn't make me want to step up.

Look on the bright side; the 8800gt will come down in price towards msrp and will have a few more in stock!

They've updated with Crysis scores and they also added the GTX and Ultra's Crysis scores for comparison.

this is kinda frustrating, all these cards (GT, GTX , ULTRA and new GTS) can play all current games at max settings, we all know that, what people want is the card that can play crysis at high with good frames (50-60) throughout the whole game, which is not what nvidia is doing, theres really no reason to upgrade a GT to GTS atm, because it really doesnt give a performance boost to the game everyone wants to play! crysis. Why would i want to buy a card that plays on my GT at 90fps to a GTS that plays that same game at maybe 100fps lol :( im just mad, i want to step up my gt by january but i dont think nvidia will have that crysis killer card by then :( just a rant

basically its a slightly faster GT with better cooling, also quieter cooling

If its actually gonna be $299 that would rock

8800GT still better buy? Hehe, hello!

The new GTS is better, will get better as it's running on "Shit" drivers, and will be able to be OC'd quite a bit, it will be near Ultra speeds easily.

The new GTS is better, will get better as it's running on "Shit" drivers, and will be able to be OC'd quite a bit, it will be near Ultra speeds easily.

ahh sorry how will drivers make it better? it's the same archecture as the one from 1 year ago on the 8800gtx 0.0

Huh? How is the new gts a better buy if it isn't even out yet? Hell, the 8800GT is still considered a better buy if you can get one at MSRP price, not to mention the GTS is slightly faster, has same amount of memory, and cost $80 more...? I only paid $220 for my 8800GT, which is faster than a GTS 320 and 640..

Don't give your hopes up about the drivers...this isn't new tech for nvidia...mature drivers are already out...

If it sells between $299-320CAD when it first comes out it'd be a good deal since the GT OCs are all still selling for around $270-315 (plus an extra $20-40 for an adequate cooler). Although I have a 1920x1200 monitor so maybe its a bit me worth it for me.

I was on the fence about the 3870 but it looks like I'll be sticking with nvidia for my card this season, unless AMD drops the prices further.

I see they added the GTX for the Crysis benchmarks only, good to see bitching pays off:D

Im surprised to see the 8800GT keeping up and the new GTS slightly beating the GTX @1920x1200. I figured the lower Vram and bus would limit them at a higher resolution. I want to see some 2560x1600 as the GTX is begining to have issues in the newer titles.

It’s good to see nVidia releasing the GT and new GTS at these price points, but it’s a little hard for me to get excited about these parts, and I imagine a lot of others that already had GTX’s and Ultra’s.

I could be a little more enthusiastic about these parts, but the G92 is really just a die shrink, and we’re a year into the 8800 architecture, so while I have a secondary machine I’d like to upgrade, it’s a little tough knowing whether or not to bite on these parts as we can’t be more than six months out for the new high end, and it might be closer than that.

nVidia and AMD need to have better road maps for their technology. I can understand the need to keep these secret as to not cannibalize sales of existing products, but at the same time, it’s getting VERY tough to plan upgrades. There needs to be a little more rhyme and reason for the consumer.

The Crysis benchmarks G92 GTS vs. G80 GTX is pretty interesting. They used a factory OC card for the GTX (BFG OC2: 626/1450/2000).

The stock GTS specs read: 650/1625/1940

At 1280x1024, the GTX beats the GTS 512, but when we go to a higher resolution, 1920x1200, the GTS is just a tad faster (almost equal). I would think, with the GTX larger memory and bandwidth, it would have the opposite results. :confused:

I'm not sure why people are so disappointed. It is a revision to a product line, probably why the 8800GTS name would be kept. If it offered 30-40% increase it might be a different product. I guess that's just how I see it. :confused: All they did was shrink the die and increase to 128sp right? What would lead people to think it should show even more gains over an 8800GT?

The Crysis benchmarks G92 GTS vs. G80 GTX is pretty interesting. They used a factory OC card for the GTX (BFG OC2: 626/1450/2000).

The stock GTS specs read: 650/1625/1940

At 1280x1024, the GTX beats the GTS 512, but when we go to a higher resolution, 1920x1200, the GTS is just a tad faster (almost equal). I would think, with the GTX larger memory and bandwidth, it would have the opposite results. :confused:

maybe it's not so bandwidth limited :p? shader power limited possibly?

This is what I was expecting. They should have opened up the memory bandwidth on this card to give it more of an edge, it's way too close to the GT performance. I definitely WON'T be wasting my step-up on this rebadged GT.

That's completely subjective. i.e.: Someone who has money to spend.

That's exactly what I said. Again, I'm not sure why we're discussing something subjective. My original post was questioning why people expected more. Based on the expected specs (G92 128sp) it was clear it wasn't going to blow the GT out of the water.

hmmm it doesn't even look that much cooler either.

good noise reduction though

Why did they benchmark the 8800GTS 512 against a 8800GTS 320 and state that it was a huge performance jump? I mean we all know the 320 in some higher resolutions do have problems...
They should have compared it to the 8800GTS 640 with 112sp to have a better comparison.

Wasn't the 512 version going to replace the 640 880GTS? The lack of a comparison with the 8800GTS 640 is baffling. The one benchmark comparison that should have been there.

Back