New 7870 Myst not impressing so far. :(

merc68

Limp Gawd
I just installed my new card and downloaded the 13.1 WHQL driver. I game at 1080p and mostly play BF3 mp but can't get anywhere near the results the [H] did in it's review. Such as on Caspian border I regularly got dips into the low twenties and a couple high teens with everything on ultra. I realize that there will be some variation because it's multiplayer so it isn't exact but a twenty fps difference. Should I be running the new beta drivers since this card is so new or do I possibly have something set wrong on CCC? Any input would be appreciated.

i think reviews are usually for single player gameplay. multiplayer gameplay usually people have to turn down gfx to feel smoother because every second counts more with real ppl.

Yea mine arent great either but i think my issue is more with crossfire.
Are you overclocking at all?

My cpu is as much as possible because it is not a k but the card is stock.

Try some other games, and 3DMark 11 to see if it's that game or something else. I was getting a little over 8000 on 3DMark with a 2500K @4600

I got 7244 on 3dmark 11

That's not out of line with a non-K CPU. Try running Afterburner in the background to graph the GPU, after one of the stalls quit the game and check the graph, see if it's at or near 100% when it's crapping out (with vsync off).

Definitely try the lastest betas. Uninstall CAPs before installing the Beta, I think the new drivers have the CAPs built in.

I ran the test again and got a slightly better overall score of 7381 and a gpu score of 7078. I got to play a little longer earlier and find the major dips are when there is heavy smoke on screen. I will try the latest beta driver. Forgive the noob question but what are CAPs and how do I tell if I already have them. I have only been using the standard non beta drivers from the AMD website.

Cap is for crossfire profiles. You only need them if running crossfire.

I just installed my new card and downloaded the 13.1 WHQL driver. I game at 1080p and mostly play BF3 mp but can't get anywhere near the results the [H] did in it's review. Such as on Caspian border I regularly got dips into the low twenties and a couple high teens with everything on ultra. I realize that there will be some variation because it's multiplayer so it isn't exact but a twenty fps difference. Should I be running the new beta drivers since this card is so new or do I possibly have something set wrong on CCC? Any input would be appreciated.

I would bring up that CPU as well. BF3 MP, specially caspian border is very CPU friendly. 4.1ghz on that 2600k isnt much, Up that to 4.6+ and that will bring up your low 20's.

Also overclock that 7870 Myst. It needs that to show its true potential!

The cpu is not a k so it is maxed. :( In fact under a load I think it's only 3.9 ghz

The cpu is not a k so it is maxed. :( In fact under a load I think it's only 3.9 ghz

Ahhh that sucks :/ The 7870 myst is a good card, but I think that 2600 I7 is holding it back a bit, specially with the low FPS you getin bf3. If you are playing on a 64 player server, CPU and GPU power is very important (and im only talking about BF3 MP 64 player)

But yea overclock that Myst card :) that will help sum. Also Run BF3 with ultra settings, but turn off MSAA, that will help your frames quite a bit.

I just tried out the beta drivers and they seem to have helped some. I never saw a dip below mid thirties. Also my cpu usage never went over forty ish.

I just tried out the beta drivers and they seem to have helped some. I never saw a dip below mid thirties. Also my cpu usage never went over forty ish.

Hmmm CPU usage around 40% in caspain border? You playing 64 man?

OP run the 13.2 beta 6 drivers. they have the CAP integrated into driver. CAP are useful even for single GPU in certain games. max out power control to +20%. that avoids clock throttling. get your GPU to 1.1 - 1.2 ghz. get your CPU clocks as high as possible. BF3 MP is very CPU intensive. you should be able to get min around 40 fps and avg around 60+ fps.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/01/01/powercolor_radeon_hd_7870_myst_edition_review/5

I cant see how people have been saying how these Myst are on par with 660ti's when they dish out only 7k 3dmarks and 660ti's do 9k.

I cant see how people have been saying how these Myst are on par with 660ti's when they dish out only 7k 3dmarks and 660ti's do 9k.

it's called overclocking.

Just like the 7950 overclocked is faster then a 670 GTX and even faster then 680 gtx's in some benchmarks.

Pump those clocks up!

Cap is for crossfire profiles. You only need them if running crossfire.

Wrong on only needing them for crossfire profiles.

CAP do include fixes and performance upgrades for single cards, just that on the 13.2 betas they are already baked into the actual driver.

CAP do include fixes and performance upgrades for single cards, just that on the 13.2 betas they are already baked into the actual driver.

This man speaks da truth

are you running the same settings at the same rez as the [H] review?

Ive been able to max out everything except shadows (shadows always rape FPS in every game and dont add much to the experience) and with minimal AA and im getting 50-80 FPS at all times @ 1080p. i know i could up the AA.

Also this is with 13.1 and cap2 12.11 @ 1000mhz.

my CPU is 3570k @ only 3.8ghz (havent really started OCing)

this thread encouraged me to install the Cat betas and OC the gpu core.

BF3 has settings thats can very quickly rape FPS for minimal PQ gain. make sure you've checked what you have enabled. Also, check your Cat settings. If you have supersampling on and running high amts of AA i wouldnt expect you to have good FPS.

Correct...always install the latest cap as well, or the one that works best for your card.

Damn something must be wrong with my setup because I am getting P9211 on 3dmark11.
graphics score is 8637, physics 14458, combined 8812.

This is with xfired and oc'd 7870 mysts running the second to newest beta 6 drivers. no caps. I tried different combinations, but I am still noticing the same inconsistant frames.
I think it has to do with my cards seemingly not going over 500mhz core even when I overclock them.

Very happy with my 7930. Crushes the GTX560-SLI set up it replaced. Considering I would have bought Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite anyway, $104 for this card is amazing.

Not but 3DMark isn't a very fun game to play. In games that are fun to play, it hangs with the GTX660Ti very well. ;)

Well setting shadows to high instead of ultra and turning down msaa to 2x helped. I guess it just confuses me that I can't even get close to the review performance with identical settings. I realize cpu speed will play a part but I didn't think it would be that much. To answer an earlier question I mainly pla 32 or 48 person servers. 64 is a bit to hectic for me.

I also forgot to mention I ran gpu-z and I am at 100% at all times.

Damn something must be wrong with my setup because I am getting P9211 on 3dmark11.
graphics score is 8637, physics 14458, combined 8812.

This is with xfired and oc'd 7870 mysts running the second to newest beta 6 drivers. no caps. I tried different combinations, but I am still noticing the same inconsistant frames.
I think it has to do with my cards seemingly not going over 500mhz core even when I overclock them.

If anyone is interested, I just re-ran 3dmark with my other monitor disabled and my score went up to P11920. HUGE increase.
So I guess the clocks are sticking at 500mhz for dual monitors and not ramping up when needed.
Still have to game to test the smoothness, but this seems promising so far.

Even with single monitor the clocks are jumping between 500, 925, and 1100.
Wtf is going on

Even with single monitor the clocks are jumping between 500, 925, and 1100.
Wtf is going on

I found that ANY of the 13.2 beta drivers are fucking up my clocks.

I was getting horrible GPU usage in games, bf3 for example would go between 64% and 100%, and my FPS would go up and down.

This was all fixed as soon as I went back to 13.1 drivers.

I found that ANY of the 13.2 beta drivers are fucking up my clocks.

I was getting horrible GPU usage in games, bf3 for example would go between 64% and 100%, and my FPS would go up and down.

This was all fixed as soon as I went back to 13.1 drivers.

Thank you for the response.
13.1 hasnt fixed the issue for me. I made a new thread to try to keep this more neat.
Thanks again for the suggestion though.

That thing about the clocks jumping around is crazy. I have verified that is not happening with mine but I sure hope you get yours figured out.

Back