Supreme [H]ardness
Need some help here guys/gals. Here's my rig:

Intel C2QX6850 @ 3.52 Ghz
Asus P5Q Pro
G Skill DDR2 1000 2x2GB (4GB)
Sapphire 7850 OC Edition
Corsair HX520 PSU
Windows 7 Pro 64

Previous card is a Gigabyte 5770 SO Edition card. No problems with previous card, just wanted an upgrade.

Replaced the card and there was no problems in Windows. Downloaded and installed latest drivers (12.4) from ATI website. Rebooted the computer, and at my Windows login screen this is what it looks like:

TKn16.jpg

So, I'm thinking it's probably drivers.

I load into safe mode (since normal mode will just BSOD and rebooted) and uninstall the card via device manager and reboot into normal mode. Works fine after that.

Run the ATI uninstaller and uninstall everything with this. Reboot.

Then I installed the 12.6 BETA drivers, rebooted. And I'm having the same results. I disabled my overclock in my BIOS for my CPU, and still getting this exact screen.

I would appreciate any help or advice you guys may have. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Awesome, I JUST now noticed my profile icon is a flower. I'm forever not [H] anymore... :(

Did you clear out all the older driver versions? Might do something... but that straight-up looks bad. Might have gotten a bad card.

Only other thing I can think of would be to try another DVI port on the card if you have one, but that wouldn't explain the BSOD.

I don't even have to clear out folders to fix this issue. I can boot to safe mode with networking, then just open device manager and right click the card and uninstall, then reboot and there's no display problems at all in normal mode.

I deleted the ATI and AMD folders in C:\ before installing 12.4 from my 5770 and changing from 12.4 to 12.6. Would a bad card still display fine in normal mode without drivers and also safe mode?

Are you sure it's the card powering the display? If you've got on-die graphics it might be that that's not giving you any issues. You can try disabling on-die graphics entirely and booting up and seeing what you get.

Also, I'm not sure deleting the ATI/AMD folders is enough.

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/GPU57RemoveOldGraphicsDrivers.aspx#windows7

With registry files and hidden folders/.ini's in system you could always have left something behind. The best and cleanest way to uninstall is generally using the win7 control panel then uninstalling/removing programs that way.

Are you sure it's the card powering the display? If you've got on-die graphics it might be that that's not giving you any issues. You can try disabling on-die graphics entirely and booting up and seeing what you get.

He's using a P45 board, no onboard IGP.

@Cmustang87, try ATIMan Uninstaller. Run (A) Automatic Uninstaller and see if that gets rid of everything. Then install CCC 12.6.

Ok, did a full uninstall after a reboot into normal mode. Since uninstalling from Device manager in safe mode allows me to get into windows.

Rebooted and trying Driver Sweeper in Safe Mode with networking (I'm doing this before I got your response SolidBladez). Disconnected the ethernet cable from my PC as well to prevent windows installing a generic driver upon PnP prompt.

Installing CCC 12.6 now, will post back with results. If this doesn't work, fully unintsalling again and trying ATIMan Uninstaller.

As Bladez said, there is no IGP on this board. I'm connected using DVI, and there's only one DVI port on this card as well.

Update:

Still having same results. Starting over with a full uninstaller then trying the ATIManUninstaller that Bladez linked.

Would a bad card only show these symptoms when drivers are installed? Maybe Windows Aero is causing this problem (which could still mean a bad card?)

Update again:

Tried clearing everything out, and installed 12.3. Same results.

Any other ideas?

Does Newegg charge for defective returns?

I'm beyond annoyed right now... shit happens I guess...

EDIT: Going out for a beer or 7, will be back later to read responses. Thanks for the help.

Do you mean to straight-up return the card, or RMA it for a replacement? There shouldn't be a fee for a replacement and if the product is defective, there should not be a restocking fee if you return it. Regardless, you'll need to create an RMA. "All product returns require a Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) number."

Confirmed it's a bad card. Tried it in another computer with 12.4 drivers and still artifacting. The only thing that bothers me is it only does it when I install ATI drivers.

Oh well, set up an exchange through Newegg.

Try this, boot into safe mode and see if the problem persists, if it does, you should chek the temps, if they are ok, RMA!

Got my replacement. Went with an MSI 7870 OC instead. Works like a dream. Thanks again for all the help guys/gals!

My personal experience with 3 Sapphire cards(4870, 7950 OC, 7950 OC) hasn't been very good. 2 of the 3 had issues that forced me to return them. My last Sapphire 7950 OC was ok but I only had it a week and a half before I sold it.

Back