• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New 6950/70 or second 5850?

Headcase_Fargone

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 25, 2010
Messages
284
So my situation is thus: I'm currently running an OEM ATI-branded 5850 (the one that was on mega-sale last year that everyone here jumped on) but I'm upgrading to 1920x1080 monitor and want some additional power.

Am I correct in thinking that my most cost efficient options are going to be a 6950 unlocked to a 6970 or a second 5850? Which would you folks recommend?

In the case of crossfired 5850s, what card can I pair with this OEM board? I haven't been able to find a second OEM reference card, even on Ebay. If another 5850 is the way to go, can someone recommend a particular card that will work fine with my existing one?

Appreciate any light you can shed.
 
Any 5850 will work with any other 5850, or a 5870 for that matter. Crossfire 5850s will certainly be faster than an unlocked 6950, but performance will also vary per-game, and you'll be using 300W of power for graphics. Not enormous (the GTX580 on its own is very similar) but it's a lot for non-top-end systems to deal with.
 
How much of a performance difference are we talking between crossfired 5850s and an unlocked 6950? I can't seem to find any benchmarks that compare both...
 
Depends what sort of unlock
From the chart I use, at 1080p:
HD5850CF vs stock HD6950: +46%
HD5850CF vs shader unlocked HD6950: +43%
HD5850CF vs HD6950 @ HD6970: +33%
HD5850CF vs actual HD6970: +32%
 
Back
Top