• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

new 6800, new headache

Matt126

Gawd
Joined
Aug 13, 2001
Messages
812
So today I upgraded from my 9600XT to a 6800 vanilla.

so happy as can be im gaming away and BAM my screen goes black. no response from the system at all, so i have to hold the power button to get it to turn off. I get back into windows and there's no "system has recovered from a serious error" blah blah blah.

I'm like ok maybe it's a fluke. Well it's the third time, and it's definitely not a fluke. The second 2 times have been IN WINDOWS. not even gaming!

My system specs are as follows:

Abit NF7-S v2.0
XP-M 2400@2.0ghz
Apollo Geforce 6800
Enermax 350W
1gb corsair xms3200

core temp of the GPU in windows is right around 50-55C which is perfectly normal for this card i believe.

voltages and rails are rock solid. +5 @ 5.03, +12 @ 12.02

I'm really just at a loss for what could be going on here.

any ideas? here's the things that have gone through my head.. psu? maybe a bios flash?(im 3 versions behind the newest)

or finally, the last option which i really don't want... a bad card. I thought i was getting a deal and it got 5 stars on newegg.

ANY advice is appreciated.

-Matt
 
Power supply?

I had similar issues with my old Antec 350W on a 6800, but then I switched to a Thermaltake 430W and the problem stopped.

Just a thought.
 
Did you measure the voltage on the rails with a multimeter or software/bios? The latter is unreliable.
 
Back
Top