Ok....Well, this is my 2nd 5870 from the egg....Specs below....I thought my 1st card was bad as with any game that I load up, after a few minutes or a few seconds, my comp would just shut off, like someone pulled the plug...I know about every thing leading to a PSU issue, but for 2 years, my toughpower 850 watt psu had been running the same rig with 2 sli'd 8800 gt's w/o probs....
I know both 8800's use more power then the one 5870....I even tested the psu with a voltage meter and every rail is within spec...I think though after recieving my 2nd 5870(sapphire vapor-x) that the prob HAS to be the psu...No issues with surfing or running prime 95...I can even run furmark/rthdribl ,and the sysytem runs fine....It's just with gaming...It is very strange.....Temps on my cpu and video card are within normal limits....
I don't know what's going on...I'm thinking that perhaps when the game rendering is increased, and the 5870 calls for mpre juice from the psu, it is failing on the 12+ rails and not able to meet the demand, which causes the system to shut down...You guys think this could be the reason? Thermaltake has excellent support and after calling them this morning, they already issued me an advanced RMA, and sent a replacement via UPS already...I hope after the trouble of swapping out PSU's, the problem goes away, becuse if it doesn't I am at a total loss....I have done clean installs , removed all traces of nvidia from the system, and checked the psu...any help would be appreciated
I know both 8800's use more power then the one 5870....I even tested the psu with a voltage meter and every rail is within spec...I think though after recieving my 2nd 5870(sapphire vapor-x) that the prob HAS to be the psu...No issues with surfing or running prime 95...I can even run furmark/rthdribl ,and the sysytem runs fine....It's just with gaming...It is very strange.....Temps on my cpu and video card are within normal limits....
I don't know what's going on...I'm thinking that perhaps when the game rendering is increased, and the 5870 calls for mpre juice from the psu, it is failing on the 12+ rails and not able to meet the demand, which causes the system to shut down...You guys think this could be the reason? Thermaltake has excellent support and after calling them this morning, they already issued me an advanced RMA, and sent a replacement via UPS already...I hope after the trouble of swapping out PSU's, the problem goes away, becuse if it doesn't I am at a total loss....I have done clean installs , removed all traces of nvidia from the system, and checked the psu...any help would be appreciated