New 4870 - XP driver install hangs at WDM

Tabs

Limp Gawd
Just brought home a VisionTek 4870 from Fry's tonight and I'm already having a major issue.

Install went perfectly in Vista x64 but I can't even get the 8.8 driver installed in XP Pro 32 bit, it's hanging at the part where it installs the WDM stuff.

I have an "Unknown" device in Device Manager, which I presume is the HDMI audio crap that installed fine in Vista.

It just sits there at a green installer screen that says WDM Drivers and I have to end task on it - I let it sit for almost 20 minutes and nothing happened. After ending task on it, I get a dialog that says "Remote Procedure Call failed". I downloaded the standalone WDM package and that at least runs, but it doesn't actually do anything, it just goes instantly to asking me to restart and the driver doesn't actually install - when I reboot, it pops up the "Unknown" new hardware found thing again. Tried pointing it to the folder the driver extracts to as well and that didn't work either. It's like the driver installer doesn't know the hardware is even there because it's showing as "Unknown" and not as the actual audio device.

Tried 8.7 and the 8.6 that came on the CD and both of those also fail in the same manner.

I'm upgrading from an 8800GT and I fully uninstalled those drivers and ran Driver Sweeper multiple times before putting the 4870 in.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ryan

Fixed it, never mind.

For anyone else who has this issue - it's not the WDM drivers that need to be installed, it's specific HDMI Audio ones, they're on the CD in another folder... Just install those first and the driver install will complete.

Back