New 4850 problem

master noran

2[H]4U
Ok, so I've have previous problems with the 4850 in windows 7, now I've moved on to vista and still the problem exists....

Ok so it all started with when I installed win7 it was on a clean PC, just built. I tried to OC via catalyst controller and everytime I tried to OC I'd press custom clocks and it would fail regardless, I could still set the clock I wanted though (this was with the win7 drivers) so I installed the vista 64 drivers, it solved the custom clock problem. Then at some point whenever I tried to up the clocks I'd get grey vertical lines, for about a min then the computer would restart. I just got vista and same crap, although I am using the drivers that came with the card. The card works ok on default though, the only scetchy problems I had were in crysis were it ran fine the entire game up until I get to the reckoning level were it would freeze for 20 seconds at a time even with the res and detail tuned down as far as possible. So should I attempt to RMA this thing or what? the store I bought it from won't take it back, should I contact sapphire?

Well, I'll try to bring it to stock and see whats going on. Although I've ran prime95 for 1-21 hours on a few occasions without any errors or anything.

edit: I realized you mean the OC on the card. It's a really small Oc, 25 on both memory and core.

in that case I would check the stability of the card at stock speeds... I'm not too sure sapphire will want to do much about a card that works fine at the advertised speeds but can't oc well.

Cards works fine at stock, I haven't noticed any problems. Do you mean use a program to check the statibility?

Ok, I put my cpu back to stock, just to see if it'd make a diff and no go. While the cpu was at stock I turned the gpu fan up to 100 from 50, temps went down from 52 to 48 and then I tried to OC it, thinking that it might be restarting from the heat it gains from testing the clock. Still I get gray lines, this woulden't be a huge problem if I weren't so paraniod, I keep thinking if it get these problems maybey it's effecting my performance overall, and the crysis performance I talked about in the first post is proof.

Run the card stock speeds while gaming....if the problem goes away...then it's the "small oc" that's causing your problems...if the problem persists get the latest vid drivers and try running your games at stock vid card speeds again...if problems persist then your card is probably borked...simple really :)

Tried a bunch of diff drivers, 2 diff OS. I know for sure the oc is the problem, it's fine at stock (performance seems pretty bad though) I emailed the store I bought it from to get a RMA, I just don't want a new one to come in and do the same and find out the problem is a bad stick of ram or something....:confused:

Tried a bunch of diff drivers, 2 diff OS. I know for sure the oc is the problem, it's fine at stock (performance seems pretty bad though) I emailed the store I bought it from to get a RMA, I just don't want a new one to come in and do the same and find out the problem is a bad stick of ram or something....:confused:

ahh they don't warrant cards "for bad oc's". If your card works fine at stock then that's all you can expect.

ahh they don't warrant cards "for bad oc's". If your card works fine at stock then that's all you can expect.

Instant grey vertical lines and then a reboot after a 10mhz OC on either is more than a bad OC. Actually, It gives the lines before I even apply the OC, it gives the lines when it's testing the OC in catalyst controller and as soon as it finishes testing it says PASSED, then BAM grey lines:mad:

edit: also, the performance is pretty bad too. Last level in crysis was UNPLAYABLE not even 5 fps, on a 19" 1280 x 1024 0 AA and Lowest settings....

Instant grey vertical lines and then a reboot after a 10mhz OC on either is more than a bad OC. Actually, It gives the lines before I even apply the OC, it gives the lines when it's testing the OC in catalyst controller and as soon as it finishes testing it says PASSED, then BAM grey lines:mad:

edit: also, the performance is pretty bad too. Last level in crysis was UNPLAYABLE not even 5 fps, on a 19" 1280 x 1024 0 AA and Lowest settings....

I had an asus 4850 that wouldn't like to overclock that much, it ran VERY hot. I have a few 9800gtx+'s that don't like to overclock much either. Doesn't mean I'm going to take them back. The early 4850's were never known to be good ocer's anyways.

Your crysis woes are from another source. My card could play crysis at the resolution my 19" is at at mostly high settings (I forgot the resolution it runs at). Tons of background programs running?

Temps never, ever go above 60, with all the programs I've checked with. I'm pretty sure I had nothing running in the backround.

Temps never, ever go above 60, with all the programs I've checked with. I'm pretty sure I had nothing running in the backround.

You never mention the brand? When did you buy it? 60C seems low for a 4850 maybe you're card is being under utilized? Try folding on it and see what kind of temps you get. Mine got crazy hot when I folded on it, like upper 90 C and I have good airflow.

it's a non passive sapphire, from Canadacomputers, these run quite cool. I'm awaiting to hear from the store to see what they say regarding a RMA. Whats folding?

Ok, looks like I've fixed the problem. I went into the ati catalyst controller and disabled the clone monitor, everything works fine now and I've got the card stable a 700/1130 via ATI catalyst controller. Damn, I'm glad I didin't rma such a good card, never goes above 60 at 40% fan speed. If anyone has a similar problem pm me

Also I'm using the new 9.3 drivers.

I'd still think your power supply was on the fritz. I had issues like that for a PC I built for a friend of the family.

My card is stock at 680/2300...I don't see why you'd need to oc the card as much as you did unless your running a synthetic benchmark, you aren't going to see a noticeable difference in games at least.

Back