• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

new 4850 - awesome!

uss enterprise

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 5, 2009
Messages
298
Picked up a couple 4850's a week ago.
My crappy Antec Basiq 550 can't do xfire with these too well, so just running one. (with both cards in, the PS fan spins up to max, sounds like a damn helicopter)

But with even just one, it's so much better than the onboard HD330 it's not funny.

Games are so smooth now, didn't realize what I was missing. Unfortunately, my old-school Sony 24 inch widescreen CRT finally died completely last night. Back to the old Dell 2007WFP.
Nice monitor, but too small for me.

Anyway, I have a couple questions. I temporarliy have it hooked to an old Lacie Electron Blue IV 22 inch CRT until I can dig the 2007WFP out of the attic. I'm trying to determine the best refresh rates to coincide with res.
Currently, For gaming, i'm set to 75 hz, v-sync on for games that support it, 1920x1080 res. (small on a 4:3 crt, but whatever)
Should I mess with it? 72 hz? I can go well above 100hz on this monitor at that res if needed. Should I?

Thanks!
 
4850 really is a bit of a beast. I got one for my secondary system last year, and when I saw it meet and sometimes beat my 8800GT SLI rig, I picked up a 4870. You'll love that card, only thing is I hope you got one of the ones with a dual slot heatsink, the 4850's run really hot, and if you run the fan at 100% it'll sound like a vacuum cleaner (not that the 4870 and 4890 are much quieter at full bore). Enjoy the cards dood!

Oh, and for a PSU, check out these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817702010

I have one in my Phenom II rig and its a fantastic PSU and good for Crossfire (well, for 4850 and lower GPUs at least)
 
75 Hz is fine, thats what I have two of my rigs running at....my LCD maxes at 60hz tho....
 
Back
Top