New 3Com Switch Network Settings Won't Apply

NeoGohan

2[H]4U
Hey guys I need some help.

I'm trying to apply these network settings to a 3com 3812 switch but it always gives me a "Data is invalid error."

IP: 172.31.31.16
SubnetMask: 255.255.255.0

Is there something wrong with this combination of ip and subnet mask? Was going through the FAQs but it would take me forever to figure it out and I need to set this up ASAP.

Thanks, guys.

Maybe the IP and Subnet Mask are fine. For these switches, does anyone know why I keep getting the "data is invalid" error when I'm trying to apply these settings? Am I supposed to be changing the network settings a different way rather than through the embedded web browser?

When I try to reset it, it says it will set everything to default, excluding IP address. I didn't go through with it though because I figure that won't really do anything cuz I need the IP address changed.

:(

Try consoling in via the serial port and changing it there...

Yeah, that's the last thing I need to try. Was doing some other stuff with VLAN at least get things going. I can deal with this changing ip of switch now that everything is set up. Thanks for replying. I'll let you know how it goes. I guess it's a security thing if I can only change it through the console.

Couldn't access the switch through the console port (putty-ed in with correct settings and it wouldn't go through) so I tried it giving it the network settings I wanted through Telnet and it worked out. Whew! All done!

I still wonder why it doesn't work through the web management. Oh well.

Back