• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

New 3960x C2 Amazon Fail

betaman10

n00b
Joined
Feb 8, 2012
Messages
6
Today I received the 3960x C2 stepping from Amazon and luckily it seems to work great. Sometimes I wonder what would cause someone to put a 1k processor in a bubble mailer.

20120208_173522.jpg
 
I would try to contact customer service. At least it turned out fine, but that shouldn't happen. They should know better.
 
Damn you got C2? I ordered from NewEgg a couple of days ago and they gave me a C1.
 
Question: what are the SPEC codes for checking if it's C1 or C2? If I understand correctly, Amazon has all C2s since they had sold out of even the 3960Xs for a while.
 
Sorry I resized the picture hopefully it is better. It seems to overclock quite nicely also
3960x.jpg
 
Oh, I was wondering about what it says on the box...i.e. how to tell before I go through the trouble of installing ;)
 
SPEC is SROKF and as you can see above Stepping is 7 instead of 6. I have a C1, but I got lucky and am within the 30 day window to return. Now if I had did my homework I would have waited, but I didn't read about VT-D not working until after I got it setup. Considering I use this box for virtualization it was a must have, I just assume that such an expensive processor would have all the bells and whistles as I am sure most people did.
 
Yeah, I need C2 so I don't need to use software mode. A guy said he got a C2 from NewEgg so I ordered one a couple of days ago. I just got mine today but it was a C1 so I'm returning it.
 
Today I received the 3960x C2 stepping from Amazon and luckily it seems to work great. Sometimes I wonder what would cause someone to put a 1k processor in a bubble mailer.

because the CPU is a hard piece of silicon enclosed in a clamshell and you can't really kill it by shaking it around like an SSD?

but of course, i see that the mailer messed up the packaging as well... you could ask for a resend if you want a nice packaging :D
 
Even on the smallest most insignificant household item I have never recieved a package in a bubble mailer from Amazon. I would be pissed if I were you.
 
now was this actually ordered from amazon, but fulfilled by another company?
 
Yeah, all my packages sold BY amazon, have shipped in Amazon branded boxes, no matter how small or big. Most of my 3rd party packages come in bubble mailer/regular boxes
 
Shipped from and sold by Amazon. I have a prime account so its the only way I do it. I got a cheap small cable last week there and it was the same mailer. They probably keep packaging down because of the 2 day air, but this was over the top I feel.
 
Just ordered one from Amazon to see if I get a C2 (returning the NewEgg). When did you order?
 
Yeah, I need C2 so I don't need to use software mode. A guy said he got a C2 from NewEgg so I ordered one a couple of days ago. I just got mine today but it was a C1 so I'm returning it.


I feel bad now, I'm really surprised you got a C1 when you ordered after me and I got a C2...

c2.png
 
I am glad to hear that the processor was wasn’t damaged but I am sorry about the condition that it showed up in. I am going to see that word of this gets passed along to Amazon.
 
BETTER FUCKING DELIVER THIS SHIT AT THE OFFICE TOMORROW. Lol. Hopefully. Just returned the NewEgg today. Gonna get the Amazon tomorrow. How are they for 1-day shipping? I live in Illinois.
 
Mine shipped from Louisville KY and I have never had an issue with Amazon overnight for 3.99 I get most things I order off there overnighted.
 
On it's way. This is my first time using Amazon's 1-day shipping. For $4 extra, I couldn't resist it.
 
Back
Top