• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New 2600K Build, Advice Needed

therealjustin

Limp Gawd
2FA
Joined
May 19, 2008
Messages
484
I was set on keeping my Q6600 for another year but when I saw the 2600K deal for the Intel summer sale I jumped on it. I plan on reusing most of my current system which is listed below to help save some cash.

Cooler Master Centurion 5
8800 GTS(until I figure out which card to get)
Antec Earthwatts 500W
640GB HDD


I have been looking at Z68 motherboards because while not great for gaming I might as well use the IGP alongside my 8800 GTS. I won't be using the SSD caching anytime soon though. If I buy the 1866 RAM + PRO3 motherboard I get $25 off but 1866 seems like overkill, no?



8GB G.Skill DDR3 1333

8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 Ripjaws

8GB G.Skill DDR3 1866




ASRock Z68 PRO3

Gigabyte Z68 D3H-B3


What combination(or something else) would be best? I'm also going to grab a Cooler Master 212+ HSF to go with the 2600K. I might overclock to around 4Ghz.
 
with memory, it will only make a tiny difference (as usual)


Check out these memory comparisons:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/memory/2011/01/11/the-best-memory-for-sandy-bridge/1

http://techreport.com/articles.x/20377/1


I'd get whichever you can get the best price on, favorite brand, looks whatever. I've seen 1600 get down to about $65. All those you selected are too expensive. But Newegg is having DDR3 sales a LOT. Keep checking, I'd pay $75 the most for 1600. On motherboards, can't help you there.
 
with memory, it will only make a tiny difference (as usual)


Check out these memory comparisons:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/memory/2011/01/11/the-best-memory-for-sandy-bridge/1

http://techreport.com/articles.x/20377/1


I'd get whichever you can get the best price on, favorite brand, looks whatever. I've seen 1600 get down to about $65. All those you selected are too expensive. But Newegg is having DDR3 sales a LOT. Keep checking, I'd pay $75 the most for 1600. On motherboards, can't help you there.

agreed.

as far as g. skill memory - i would get this 1600 sniper:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231416

$95 - 20% discount with promo code EMCKEHC23 (exp mem day - 5/30) = $76

as far as the mobos - i think that they are both good, but main differences:

gigabyte - multi gpu capable, longer warranty (3 vs 1 for asrock)
asrock - 2 more sata ports, uefi bios

based on the above, i would go with the gigabyte since that allows you the ability to sli or xfire if ever needed; and longer warranty is obviously preferable.
 
Last edited:
All I can tell you is that my sig rig is great. Keep in mind that the memory I have is tall and they're just releasing a lower profile memory module. I've tried a lot, but cannot have a stable frequency higher than what is in my sig as far as my 2600k. But it's not a bottleneck in any way still.
 
Back
Top