• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New 2405 LCD "Whines"

Tzunami

n00b
Joined
Aug 6, 2004
Messages
34
I just got in my 2405 and love it, but it seems to have a high pitched whine. It is definitely the monitor, because if I turn it off, it goes away. When I shutdown the PC and the monitor goes into power save mode it stops too. It whines when started up with no input from the PC or when the PC is on. Anyone else notice this? I'm hoping it's just new and will go away or I'll get used to it cuz right now it is hella annoying.

Thanks in advance for yer help
 
I just finished unpacking mine and installing it. Sorry, but I don't notice this. I've heard other people complain about it. How loud is it? Because my fan is pretty loud and maybe that's drowning it out.
 
It isn't very loud, faint even, but if I listen too it, I notice it. Maybe I'm neurotic, who knows. With my TV on or sound up in WoW, don't notice, but if I turn sound off I notice it.
 
Can you hear the whine in lightbulbs or TV sets normally? If so, youa re pretty much out of luck there. I think some people just have hearing outside of the range of normal people in the high frequency range.
 
Ingonuts13 said:
Can you hear the whine in lightbulbs or TV sets normally? If so, youa re pretty much out of luck there. I think some people just have hearing outside of the range of normal people in the high frequency range.

I can hear the whine of a TV across the house, but I can't hear anything out of my 2405, even with my ear next to it. I'd suggest trying to exchange it.
 
Cabezone said:
I can hear the whine of a TV across the house, but I can't hear anything out of my 2405, even with my ear next to it. I'd suggest trying to exchange it.

Probably right on that one I guess. I was not aware that the 2405 had this issue.
 
WOW, I run across many CRT's that make the whine, but never an LCD. This kills me a little bit inside :(

Though I have often been able to hear various simple PCB circuits whine when running and have made comments along the line of "omg, thank you for finally turning that noise off" and have gotten some really weird looks and remarks from coworkers :(
 
Ok, I work up this morning and fired up, no whine as of yet. I'm thinking maybe the powersupply or something just had a little burn in. I'll wait a few days see if I notice anything again, but as of now, it appears to be gone.

Thanks for the great replies, I know I can always count on Hardocp if I need a computer question answered.
 
I had a whine issue with my 2001FP. It's the power brick on the 2001FP that whines. A replacement pack fixed the issue. I thought it was the monitor.
 
Ingonuts13 said:
Can you hear the whine in lightbulbs or TV sets normally? If so, youa re pretty much out of luck there. I think some people just have hearing outside of the range of normal people in the high frequency range.

I have very sensitive ears to high pitches, and the 2405 we have does have a whine to it, but is not that obtrusive, even for me. The vast majority of people would never be able to hear it. It is certainly possible yours is louder.

I also have a dell 2005 and the new Gateway 21" and neither makes a noise of any sort.
 
Back
Top