New 24" widescreen questions

Seldorin

n00b
I am looking to purchase a new (my first) 24" widescreen LCD and of course am trying to find the best one I can. I have had good experience with Samsung monitors so the two I was looking at are:

Samsung 245BW
Samsung 2493HM

The latter has HDMI support but I don't really know if I need that. Is that only useful if I want to watch HDTV or plug in consoles to the monitor? HDMI support doesn't have any effect on normal PC gaming does it? When I installed my 8800 GTS 512 I was asked if my monitor supported HDTV so it just makes me a little curious. Gaming will probably be my primary use of the monitor, followed by watching DVDs and other miscellaneous applications. I am happy to look into other brands and have already done a little research into BenQ, Gateway, and a few others. Anyway, I'll continue browsing the forums here and all opinions are welcome. Thanks.

HDMI is essentially the same as DVI with a different connector, so you won't have any problems with it.

But HDMI allows higher quality images in certain applications (like HDTV/consoles) right? Just not for regular computer gaming purposes.. Otherwise, what's the difference between the two monitors I listed?

HDMI and DVI carry the same signal. The difference is that HDMI allows video and audio over one cable.

HDMI and DVI carry the same signal. The difference is that HDMI allows video and audio over one cable.
You can send audio over DVI as well. Most devices with DVI only won't have integral speakers or audio out jacks, and will just ignore the audio packets that're interleaved between the video ones.

The only difference is that HDMI is single link only and doesn't have the reverse compatable analog wires allowing for a much smaller physical plug.

Oh ok, so it doesn't affect video quality and the only benefit is the connectivity of the cable? How would I know which monitors support HDTV then?

You can send audio over DVI as well. Most devices with DVI only won't have integral speakers or audio out jacks, and will just ignore the audio packets that're interleaved between the video ones.

You're right; I should have been more specific.

Back