New 2.1 System

NaturalViolence

Limp Gawd
Any good 2.1 systems out their that have both a 3.5mm input and a dual rca input? I'm setting a budget of $200 and this is a home theater setup btw.

I blew out my right speaker on my current system the other day so I need to replace it. I want to hook my hdtv up to it with dual rca but I also have a computer with a good audio card with 3.5mm out and I don't want it to passthrough the hdtv if that's possible. So that's why I need both.

Last edited:
I actually don't have a desk. My current speaker system is sitting on top of a large cabinet and that's where it would have to go. I'll take a picture tomorrow and show you what my setup looks like.

Alright I've been digging up info. on these speakers for awhile now and hit a few snags. From what I gather so far from reviews it has no 3.5mm input just dual rca. This could be problematic since these speakers will rely heavily on my audio card for quality (X-FI extrememusic edition) since they are active. My audio card only outputs 3.5mm and I also have to hook my hdtv up to it with dual rca, so I will probably need to pass it through my hdtv which will murder the quality (assuming this based on what the reviews I have read so far have said). The speakers use rca instead of speaker wire and have 4 ft. chords that are soldered into the speakers, this could be problematic since I need more length than that because of how the cabinets are setup up. They are active systems, which I'm assuming means that not only does the subwoofer need to be plugged into an outlet but so do the speakers. That is also problematic because unless they have an extremely long chord I will need an extension chord to plug the speakers into an outlet due to their distance from the ground. I really need to find someone that actually has these things in order to get more info. about them.

Also since you guys know a hell of a lot more about audio than I do and know what's best for me I should say that my current system is an XL-MP130 from sharp. The right speaker is dead but the unit and left speaker still work. The main unit has a dual rca in, an amp, and a preamp single rca subwoofer out. Although I'm still confused how I would hook a subwoofer up to that if I ever needed to.

I also have a dell 100 watt 5.1 speaker system with three MALE 3.5mm connects for audio in and 4x rca for audio out to the speakers from the subwoofer (it's a total pos even though it's 5.1, 4 x 7.5 watt satellites, a 10 watt center, and a 40 watt subwoofer, the speakers suck but the subwoofer is fantastic, not sure how they did it but it seems to have as much boom as a 100 watt sub despite being much smaller, and it doesn't sound muddy at all). I'm telling you guys this because I feel you should know everything I have in order to make the best judgement about what I should do. So tomorrow I am going to snap some photos of my setup and show you guys where the speakers need to go so you can better understand what I need.

I'm also wondering whether this should be posted in home-theater or this forum since it kind of relates to both. Would I get more/better help out of the home-theater forum? Not to offend anyone here just wondering if those people are better equipped for answering questions about this type of setup.

Last edited:
1. You're not using S/PDIF, you're just using a 3.5mm to 3.5mm stereo connection
2. 3.5mm to Stereo RCA is a cheap cable, so theres no point to restrict yourself to a unit with 3.5mm inputs
3. The Swan M10 is a bad choice for an HTPC, not enough power and the subwoofer is more of a midwoofer
4. You should look at used speakers and receivers locally in your area and on eBay

With $200, I'd get a 5.1 receiver for $50-75 at most, then get bookshelf or floorstanding speakers (used/outlet/clearance) with the rest of the money. Add a sub later.

1. Sorry, audio noob here. Should I just say 3.5mm from now on and everyone will know what I'm talking about? I went ahead and corrected both of my posts.

2. Yes but then how am I going to connect both the hdtv and pc to the speakers? My hdtv does have a dual rca input but it's only for composite/component. I'm using vga for video so my hdtv will only let me use 3.5mm for audio in. And since the speakers only have one dual rca input I have to pass the audio through my hdtv.

3. Actually that's exactly what I want. I don't give a s**t about boomy base. I just want HQ stereo audio in a way that I can actually set up. Trying to replace my XL-MP130 system which had no subwoofer to begin with. Obviously I would PREFER a 2.1 system but if I can get excellent audio on 2.0 I'm fine with that.

4. Didn't think I would be able to get any quality equipment that way. Good 5.1 recievers start at around $230 so yeah if I could get one for 50-75 that would be amazing, exactly what I need to make my life simpler.

I'm also starting to think that passive speakers using speakerwire might be a better choice due to compatibility with future equipment like receivers and subwoofers if I ever decide to take that route. What do you guys think? I was looking at these earlier: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290200
and if I have enough money maybe this for a subwoofer: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290034
But then again like I said earlier I don't know very much about audio so need your opinions.

Last edited:
do you have a reciever already? if so then yeah id recommend that polk audio set

2. Use a splitter or a switch.
3. Just because there is a subwoofer present doesn't mean you'll have boomy bass. The M10's just don't have enough power for an HTPC setup. Normally I'd recommend the Promedia 2.1 set mentioned earlier however the subwoofer build quality is not that good.
4. Guidelines for a cheap receiver...

1. Make sure its in good physical condition, make sure its in operating condition (don't buy a unit that flashes PROTECT or CHECK SPEAKER CABLE, unless you want something to repair)
2. Don't look at any receiver with HDMI or Component video, just use the receiver for audio switching, use the TV for video switching
3. The receiver should have at least one optical input and one coaxial digital input.
4. Get one with a working remote!
5. On the back of the receiver, instead of spring clips for the speaker outputs, get binding posts as they are generally featured on better receivers
6. On the super cheap used front of receivers, I recommend Yamaha, Onkyo and Denon. Avoid Sony unless its a Sony ES.

2. Didn't know such things existed. Never been able to find an audio switch in any store, guess I better start hunting online. Always thought I would have to buy a full blown receiver to do that and I don't have that kind of money.
3. I don't care about boomy bass. I am well aware that the swan M10 cannot deliver boomy bass. Why does an htpc setup have to have boomy bass?
4. Thanks a lot!

do you have a reciever already? if so then yeah id recommend that polk audio set

No. What I have right now is more of a control station for the speakers. 1 dual rca input, two speakerwire outputs that go out to the speakers and an rca preamp subwoofer out. So basically it's a stereo system that can be upgraded with a subwoofer but one of the speakers is no longer working so I need to replace it. It would be great if I could just replace the speaker that died but I can't, they aren't sold separately and no one is selling them online in places like ebay.

Last edited:
If you are blowing out computer speakers for home theater purposes you need a floorstanding tower speaker to keep up with your power requirements.

I blew it out because of a stupid mistake I made, it had nothing to do with power requirements. I can certainly look at them as a possible alternative, just know that I'm not some insane person amplifying the crap out of everything and setting the volume to an absurd amount to blow out my speakers.

@450

If you don't mind me asking what receiver do you use?

And once I get my receiver picked off of ebay I still need recommendations for a speaker system so here are some that I am looking at now:

Potential setup 1 (studiophile AV 40): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...e=10&IsFeedbackTab=true&rdm=47#scrollHelpful1

Potential setup 2 (swan M10): http://www.theaudioinsider.com/product_info.php/p/swan-m10/products_id/89

Potential setup 3 (swan D1080MkII08): http://www.theaudioinsider.com/prod.../swan-d1080mkii08/cPath/21_24/products_id/144

Potential setup 4 ( 2 x Polk Audio Monitor 50 floorstanding): 2 x http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290014

Potential setup 5 (Polk Audio Monitor 30 + Polk Audio PSW10 Subwoofer): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290035 + http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290201

Remember I need suggestions. I got most of those from reading the "Best 2.1 System" thread in this forum. Plus some digging on newegg. I'm also doing some hunting on ebay since I know I can get bang per buck that way, it's just tricky finding the right product/seller when you don't really know what your looking for.

Last edited:
Marantz SR-5003 at the moment.

But I also use a 30+ year old Marantz 2226B with an Adcom 545 mkII power amp. I'm currently running Magnepan MMG's. An okay setup, but I'm still in college so I'm satisfied.

I wish I had an ICEpower amp like jakeshields! :D

Last edited:
That sounds like an interesting story...how did you blow your receiver?

First off I blew the speaker not the"receiver" (and once again it's not a receiver, it's an amp/preamp). And to be honest I have no idea how I did it. I was trying to hook up a subwoofer to it. I took my dell 60 watt subwoofer hooked it up to my audio card on my pc with 3 x 3.5mm connectors. Then took what I thought was an rca cable and and connected one of the rca speakers outs on the subwoofer to the amp driving my stereo speaker since my speakers run off speakerwire and I can't hook them up to the subwoofer directly. Turns out the rca cable was actually a composite video cable (didn't see the yellow ring). Tried to play audio and the speaker just died. Completely dead, not sure how. Luckily I only plugged in one rca so my other speaker is still alive. Only theory I have is that the dell subwoofer speakers outs aren't actually rca they just look like it since the speakers it comes with are passive and run off those outputs that look like rca.

Marantz SR-5003 at the moment.

But I also use a 30+ year old Marantz 2226B with an Adcom 545 mkII power amp. I'm currently running Magnepan MMG's. An okay setup, but I'm still in college so I'm satisfied.

Your standards are insane. I looked that receiver up just now, and that is insane! I can't even afford a $100+ receiver if I'm going to buy speakers which is why I'm hunting on ebay.

Anyways, does anyone have any more recommendations other than the swan M10 or any opinions on anything I have said so far or any of the potential setups I have listed?

I should also say that I'm going to be online all day checking this thread for responses every 15-30 minutes today.

Last edited:
No. I don't have a problem with buying normal speakers. As you can tell I'm not like you guys, I'm certainly no audiophile. I mean looking at your audio setup, it costs more than my car! But I suppose our standards are different. You look at my cheap speakers and see crap while I look at your expensive speakers and see a waste of money. But back to the topic. I have a budget of about $200, I need a new 2.0/2.1 system, and I listed some potential setups. Do any of them look decent? What are your recommendations?

Also looking at these as well: http://www.google.com/products/cata...og_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CEAQ8wIwAg#

Last edited:
I would not recommend the M10's. I had a set, they lasted less than a month. The build quality is not there. In addition they would not work with a receiver, they have their own amplifier built in.
I would suggest checking out your local craigslist for a used receiver and than getting some book shelf speakers like the polks you linked. If you have room for the floor standers they are probably a better choice.

And once I get my receiver picked off of ebay I still need recommendations for a speaker system so here are some that I am looking at now:
Potential setups 1-3 are all "active" speakers, which means they have their own amps built in. Using any of them with a receiver is silly, especially on a tight budget.

(And don't apologize for not wanting to spend much. That's a totally reasonable decision. OTOH, listening to a top-notch system might convince you that it's not a waste.)

Based on your description of blowing up the speaker, I think this is what happened. The Dell sub was part of an active, 2.1 system and contained all of the amps. While it may use RCA connectors for the speakers, those outputs are already amplified to speaker level. Connecting that to your other amp's input caused a massive overload, probably frying something in the amp (not speaker).

I'm glad to see you're asking questions now. It's a much better approach than hooking & hoping.

Based on your description of blowing up the speaker, I think this is what happened. The Dell sub was part of an active, 2.1 system and contained all of the amps. While it may use RCA connectors for the speakers, those outputs are already amplified to speaker level. Connecting that to your other amp's input caused a massive overload, probably frying something in the amp (not speaker).

Yup. You were correct. I replaced the amp and everything is fine and dandy now. So I no longer need new speakers, still want to get a subwoofer though. Any recommendations on that?

I do have room. Why would they be a better choice?

On a two hundred dollar budget, I'd get two decent bookshelves and save for a sub. If all you're going to spend is $200 then do what they suggested and get full towers as they can provide deeper bass due to bigger woofers. Problem is they don't go deep/hit like a decent subwoofer can.

Things to consider.... how far are you from the speakers, desktop speakers/near field monitors like the speakers suggested are for listening next to the speakers. If you're going to be 7+ feet back then you may want to consider regular bookshelves/towers. Bigger selection/great deals.

You can also find high quality used ones on audiogon/avsforum/ebay/craigslist if you know what you're lookng for.

I myself like Paradigm speakers, especially the minimonitors:

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrmoni&1288389738&/Paradigm-Mini-Monitors-V3-Spea

But aperion/axiom/KEF/Dynaaudio and a whole host of other companies makes awesome sounding speakers. The sound is really personal preference as well as the source and the amplification.

I live on http://www.avsforum.com/ and http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/ and http://www.audioholics.com

Have fun... best thing about audio vs computers... although more expensive... great sounding speakers/amplifiers still sound great 10-20 years from now... you can't say the same thing about a CPU :)

Please list your equipment that works. Need to know what we have to work with.

Source 1: My computer is using a creative x-fi xtememusic edition audio card with a 3.5mm to dual rca cable outputting stereo to the rca switch. Analogue obviously.

Source 2: My HDTV is outputting a DD signal via dual rca to the rca switch. And inputing audio from the blu-ray player.

Source 3: My blu-ray player is outputing video and DD audio to the hdtv via hdmi.

I bought an rca switch off of amazon. It is literally just a switch between 4 dual rca inputs and 1 dual rca output. My hdtv and computer are both plugged into the inputs and the output is connected to my amp/preamp via dual rca.

The amp/preamp/cd changer/radio that came with my speakers inputs dual rca from the switch and outputs to the bookshelf speakers via speakerwire. It also has a subwoofer preamp out which is rca. It does have a crossover for the sub out.

None of this matters though since at this point ALL I NEED IS A GOOD SUBWOOFER which I will connect to the subwoofer preamp out (rca) on the amp/preamp. I can also draw you a diagram of my setup if you would like. Although that wouldn't really matter because once again, all I need is a good subwoofer, so do you have any recommendations for a good subwoofer?

You like your Dell sub, right? Get a 3.5mm female to stereo RCA adapter, and use it to connect your Sharp's sub out to the Dell. QED.

You like your Dell sub, right? Get a 3.5mm female to stereo RCA adapter, and use it to connect your Sharp's sub out to the Dell. QED.

First of all no I do not like it. It has a 4" driver and it's only rated at 60 watts. My speakers have 5.25" woofers and are rated at 85 watts each so I don't know how it even qualifies to be a subwofoer. Second of all it is impossible to use with anything other than the included sattelites. You have to have all 3 3.5mm conenctors connected, all 5 speakers plugged in and turned on and enabled in windows otherwise the sub will not work. I don't know why or how the set it up to do this. Please don't even follow up with a "well maybe if you do this" because trust me I have tried everything. You can't use the subwoofer without using the speakers, it's as simple as that.

You can't use the subwoofer without using the speakers, it's as simple as that.
OK, that definitely sucks.

Sorry, but I don't have any suggestions for a good sub in your price range. Something like a Polk PSW10 should be add some decent bass, but I can't say it's your best choice.

FWIW, I never would have inferred that you didn't like the Dell sub when you posted, "the subwoofer is fantastic."

I'd second the suggestion of checking Ebay or Craig's List for used audio equipment. I recently picked up a nice Denon (an AVR-1604) receiver over Craig's List for cheap. Sounds great and I was finally able to replace my dinky Sonic Impact T-amp for my television.

FWIW, I never would have inferred that you didn't like the Dell sub when you posted, "the subwoofer is fantastic."

It was back when I was in my tiny dorm with the volume and bass turned way down. Now I'm in a much larger room and I need more than a 4" 60 watt. Plus back when I was in my dorm I had not heard what a good subwoofer sounded like, but now that I have I want one (you always think something sounds good until you hear something better)!

budget? svs makes great subs in the "affordable" but they start around $500. Otherwise your looking at big box brands like Polk/Infinity/Klipsch

I saw some svs subs on ebay for under $200. Didn't know if they were worth it though since they seemed to cost more for a smaller driver/lower wattage than other models. I think I'll snag one of those one of these days. Thanks for the input.

It was back when I was in my tiny dorm with the volume and bass turned way down. Now I'm in a much larger room and I need more than a 4" 60 watt. Plus back when I was in my dorm I had not heard what a good subwoofer sounded like, but now that I have I want one (you always think something sounds good until you hear something better)!

I saw some svs subs on ebay for under $200. Didn't know if they were worth it though since they seemed to cost more for a smaller driver/lower wattage than other models. I think I'll snag one of those one of these days. Thanks for the input.

Err i dont think you saw svs subs for less than $200... if you did they must have been broken. They keep their value really well

Back