New 2.1 desktop setup

Discussion in 'Computer Audio' started by m3ta1head, Oct 8, 2017.

1. m3ta1head

m3ta1head 777

Finally got around to upgrading my Swan M50Ws with this new rig (pic of previous setup: http://i.imgur.com/mAbp5xo.jpg). The SMSL Q5 Pro is a temporary addition while I save for a nicer integrated amp - that being said, it's a good little performer and a total bargain for $100. Still getting used to the system & burning everything in, but first impressions are positive!

Components:
    Emotiva Airmotiv B1
    SVS SB-1000
    SMSL Q5 Pro
    Melos SHA-1
    Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
    Not pictured: Denon D2000, Sennheiser HD600, Xonar STX

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kyle_Bennett and cageymaru like this.
  2. cageymaru

cageymaru [H]ard|News

That is completely [H]ardcore! Great setup man! That is sick!

Kyle_Bennett what do you think?

Kyle_Bennett and m3ta1head like this.
  3. Commander Shepard

Commander Shepard Proud Brony

4. B00nie

B00nie [H]ardness Supreme

Add some acoustic treatment and you're golden :)

Those concrete side walls in close proximity are going to affect the sound.

5. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardness Supreme

looks like plaster...

op, nice setup, bet it sounds bitchin'. but it looks like you don't use it, desk its waaay to clean! not even a gun laying around...

6. m3ta1head

m3ta1head 777

I'm actually thinking about grabbing a miniDSP and measurement mic to implement an active crossover and do some room correction - definitely getting some bass loading with the monitors so close to the walls. I'll probably do some acoustic treatment at the same time - much more effective when you have measurements and can implement it correctly. Walls are textured drywall in a 11x11 bedroom - the left side is against the exterior wall of the house and the right side is only about 10" deep before it opens up into a doorway 3ft to the right. This rig is a bit overpowering in this small space, but hopefully with some correction and a proper low pass to sub/high pass to speakers, I can get it sounding much more dialed. It's definitely nice having this level of fidelity in the bedroom!

I took some of the crap off before the picture, but generally I like keeping my desks/workspaces clean. You're right though, doesn't see much use except on the weekends. Guns stay locked in the case until they're needed ;)

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  7. B00nie

DSP can help some but it can not overcome physics. Old school room treatment will always give a better result than DSP alone. Of course you have a limited space to play with so this is a challenge.

8. xmadror

xmadror Limp Gawd

Looks like a great setup, even though I dont use speaker with ribbon tweeter anymore I really liked them in my vintage infinity speaker when I was using them.

How do you like that SVS sub ? I wanted to get one but ended up finding a deal to good to pass on a used PSB Stratus Subsonic 7 which I do like but I never got to test the SVS SB1000 or SB2000 that I had my eyes on.

The spec on the PSB are :
    - 15-inch driver,
    - 330W continuous/600W dynamic/1200 watts dynamic peak
    - frequency range of 22 – 150 Hz with a low frequency cut-off of 18 Hz at -10 dB.
    - up to 112 dB Sound Pressure Level.
    - variable crossover from 50 to 150 Hz
    - 17.5w x 17.5d x 19"h, 60 pounds
    - Sealed Cabninet

It does good with music (dont really need a sub for music with my speaker since they do 50Hz to 22KHz -2db and 35Hz -6db) and does great with movies but I always wonder how much better a SVS sub would be (for 4-5x the price I paid).
    Tight bass with a deep impact and can really shake the house while watching movies.

Here is some pic of my setup (sorry for the quality, shit phone cam)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Yaquin sd-cd2 Tube Buffer / Schiit Bifrost Dac
    Hafler DH-110 Preamp (great headphones amp too)
    ART EQ341 EQ (not really needed anymore since I got the Bifrost)
    Bryston 3B Amp
    Sennheiser hd598 se with modmic

B&W DM3000

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  9. B00nie

I guess you use the speakers mainly to listen outside your battlestation? Because they're pointing the wrong way when you sit there.

10. xmadror

xmadror Limp Gawd

Yeah for serious listening session or movies I sit on the other side of the room.
    I mostly use my headphone when gaming (at least when I need voice chat).
    I experimented a lot with positioning and given my room limitation and big desk that's the best I could find.
    Yet the difference between the optimal seating position and while sitting at my computer is smaller than you'd think.

Eventually I want to either mount a TV to the wall over my monitor or possibly get a 40-43" 4k monitor.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  11. B00nie

For optimal results you should move the speakers at least 3 feet off the walls and apply some acoustic treatment to the first reflection points. If you keep them in the corner it's going to affect the sound in a negative way.

12. xmadror

xmadror Limp Gawd

This is starting to feel like a thread hijacking, sorry about that :/

I would agree with you but 3' of the wall would put them touching my desk on each sides and in front of it by a few inches.
    It's not ideal but my room is too small for them. What could help is getting a smaller desk but that has another set of drawback.
    ATM they are about 12" from the side wall and 16" from the back. I used to have them a little closer to the desk but had to make some room when I added the sub.

One thing I haven't tried yet because I'd need a longer RCA cable would be to put the sub in a corner a bring back the speaker closer to the desk, just need to get a cable to try it out.
    Do you think it could help ?

Also, ATM I don't have any room acoustic treatment but its on my list of things to do.

13. B00nie

When your room is small of course you can't place the stuff anymore as you should. Room size and volume is the biggest problem sources in home audio typically. It affects pretty much everything.

Symmetric positioning will help but the corner position for a single sub will create the biggest room modes. You should only put the sub in the corner if the sub is underpowered and you need the boost. Otherwise away from walls is best also for the sub. You can find the best location for your sub by putting your sub to play where you usually listen. Then crawl around the room - the place where the bass sounds the best is the place where you should place your sub. :)

14. m3ta1head

m3ta1head 777

Well I ended up pulling the trigger on a used Sherbourn PA 2-50 (basically an enhanced version of the Emotiva Mini-X - Class A/B 50wpc with input/power sensing and a remote control). Got a great deal on it - should be a very nice upgrade over the SMSL. Also picked up a Klipsch RW-12D for my HT rig (will post pics of that setup soon, hehe). Next on the upgrade list for me is an Emotiva XDA-2 ref DAC and some room treatment.

It was fun comparing these two, the SVS is much tighter and more musical but the Klipsch has some serious output. Perfect for their respective uses (music & HT).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  15. m3ta1head

m3ta1head 777

Sorry I totally missed this question - that PSB you have looks like a really nice unit, wasn't that their flagship model back when it came out? The entry level SVS stuff is fairly good. The SB1000 isn't an output monster and would be underpowered in a larger room (unless you ran duals), but it is very tight and fast - great with transients, very musical overall. I was a little disappointed with the extension though - it rolls off pretty heavily below 30hz. It does blend very well with the speakers I have and disappears into the background, just delivering luscious smooth bass. I haven't heard the ported SVS models but if I wanted something with a lot of output down low I'd probably go for the PB2000 or PB12/3. If money was no object...

16. xmadror

xmadror Limp Gawd

Yes the PSB Stratus Subsonic 7 was their flagship model back when it came out around 2002 iirc.

Almost bought a used SB13-ultra for $1000 less then retail but it was sold by the time I could go see it and then I found my PSB for $300 and I tough at the price it was worth a shot.
    Quite happy with it and I'm not looking to replace it anytime soon. Just that a SVS sub was what I originally wanted.

17. m3ta1head

m3ta1head 777

You'd be pretty hard pressed to do better for $300 - that's around what I paid for the SB1000. Obviously the SB13 is in a different territory altogether - that would have been a steal at $1k off retail. I think the biggest advantage of a newer sub like that is having sophisticated DSP built in - SVS even has a phone app that lets you change every setting from your seating position instead of having to be crouched around the back of it. If I had that kind of budget to play around with, I'd also seriously consider the JL Audio E112 - probably one of the best sealed subs money can buy.

18. B00nie

Heh, that youtube movie was funny. He dropped all that money to gear and then placed them so that you get the least possible result for the money. Room is way too small and the placement of the speakers and the furniture completely off the mark.

19. spaceman

spaceman [H]ardForum Junkie

Yeah Jeez. Wtf is that? Like stuffing a rocket engine into a Mini. Derp.

20. m3ta1head

m3ta1head 777

Yeah that's a classic example of someone with too much money invested in gear and not enough sense to configure it properly. It's a shame as he could have set up a really nice 2ch rig in that room in front of the short wall. Still, completely ridiculous to see that much firepower in such a small place, thought it was a funny video.