New $1000 build, second opinions

jsteinm1

Weaksauce
Joined
May 8, 2011
Messages
101
I am helping a buddy with a PC build. For the most part the PC is configured, but I wouldn't mind some second opinions on this before he purchases everything. Questionnaire and current config below:

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
PC will be in the living room so it will have some HTPC function, but also using programs like Photoshop or Solidworks. Little to no gaming.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$1000ish (soft)

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
Nebraska

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
Everything in the tower + TV tuner and Win 7. Peripherals not necessary in budget. See config below.

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
All new.

6) Will you be overclocking?
No. Ultra quite is precedent due to living room location, however.

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
1920x1080

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Within the month

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? etc.
Looking to use a Z68 mobo for LucidLogix Virtu for video encoding, otherwise discreet graphics.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Will purchase 64bit Win 7.

(Case Undetermined at the moment)
Mobo: ASUS P8Z68-V LE
CPU: Intel i5-2500
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9
PSU: Corsair TX650 V2
Video: Sapphire 100314-3L Radeon HD 6870 1GB
HDD: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM 64MB ST1000DM003
Tuner: Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 MCE (no cable subscription)
CD/DVD: LG Blu-Ray UH12LS28
OS: Win 7 64bit Home OEM

Current subtotal: $1053 + case

Does all that look like pretty good bang for the buck hardware? Any suggestions for changes? Thanks guys!
 
For his needs, the i5-2400 should be just as capable as the 2500, with no noticeable difference in performance, could save a few bucks there.

Do you have any cases in mind? if not, I'd suggest taking a look at the Antec P183, and the Fractal Define series. Both are designed with silent computing in mind, and short of heavy gaming, will keep the build whisper quiet.

Also, consider replacing the stock fans on any case you do get with GELID Nano Flux Bearing fans, I have a pair of them, and they run completely silent (I sit about 2 feet away from the computer in a double layer windowed room with no other sound, and I can't hear them).
 
I'm more or less leaving the case up to him since most of it is aesthetic preference. I did suggest the NZXT Phantom mid-tower version to him since I bought the full tower for myself a while back and absolutely love it. I'll look into those Antec cases and fans too.

Also, how are the stock Intel heatsinks? I did show him this Noctua cooler if he wasn't satisfied with the Intel one.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608019&Tpk=nh-c12
 
If he has no plans on OC, the stock Intel fans will do just fine, especially since he isn't running any extremely CPU intensive programs over long periods. If anything, tell him to monitor the CPU temps over the first few weeks, and if it goes over 70 degrees maybe get a CM Hyper 212+
 
Those cases look really nice. I really like the design of the P183 and like the P280 even more. I'll see what he thinks about those. Thanks!
 
After some additional reading I'm going to switch to a GTX 460 card for the CUDA support in Adobe. Either the PNY VCGGTX4601XPB for $100 or EVGA OC'd 01G-P3-1363-KR for $150.
 
Back
Top